Thread: Steering Wheel

Default Steering Wheel

I am unstalling a new helm and steering cable on my 1984 Supra Rider but ran into a little problem. I took the nut off of the steering wheel but it looks like there is a locking nut of some type or it is threaded onto the steering post. Anybody take their's off before? Do I need a puller to remove it or do I need to unscrew it somehow? anybody have any ideas?
    1984 Supra Rider

I'm not 100% on this but I think I remember needing a puller to get mine off. Should only be the one nylon locking nut on the top and then it's just the steering wheel pressed on to the shaft.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Don't know about 84, but my 89 had a tapered shaft and key under the nut. Took me awhile to find metric bolts (the only metric I found on the boat) to thread into the hub so I could use a puller. PB Blaster is your friend.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

If your replaceing the entire helm just loosen up the bolt thats hold the actual helm on to the dash and tap it out. My 85 had a tapored shaft with a woodruft key. I replaced everything and just tapped it out the back.

I know I didn't need a puller with mine, But all I can remember is to pop the cap, Pull the nut, Spray some pb blaster and I rocked it side to side till it got free!