Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chautauquasun View Post
    Mikey...that is exactly what mine looked like but you could see on the stringer where mount was originally mounted and now where it sits...probably a good 1/4 or a little more forward. I will see if I can get a pic of the engine before Chris takes it out. Not sure what yours looks like but you can see the rubber bushings pushing forward on my engine so the the engine is leaning forward over the mounts rather than being overtop of the mounts. Like i said I think I got lucky last summer.

Sounds like you guys were in a little worse shape than mine. The motor on mine had not shifted nor had the mounts "sunk" into the stringer. But nearly half of the motor mount bolts would not tighten, so it probably would have been the next thing to have the motor shift. Making the decision to do the repairs is money well spent I guess, huh?
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Default Tear Down has started

Here are some initial pics of the tear down. You can see the top deck in the background. Just like he did on his boat's rebuild, Chris used a huge moveable boat lift. You can also see it in the background. It has B-52 wheels on it and you actually pick the boats up with it and transport them to the water. Never seen anything like it.

Feels good to have the build under way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1984 Supra Rider

Here are some initial pics of the tear down. You can see the top deck in the background. Just like he did on his boat's rebuild, Chris used a huge moveable boat lift. You can also see it in the background. It has B-52 wheels on it and you actually pick the boats up with it and transport them to the water. Never seen anything like it.

Feels good to have the build under way.
    Yeah it will not be long till its done, I was looking at your boat when I picked mine up and Id say the stringer's definitly put there time in!

all and all you will be happy with it when done

Very cool. Man, look at those huge boats in the background. Kinda dwarfs your boat, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by dshaff24 View Post
    Yeah it will not be long till its done, I was looking at your boat when I picked mine up and Id say the stringer's definitly put there time in!

all and all you will be happy with it when done

yeah the stringers are shot. Like I said..i think I am luck to have gotten through last summer without a major problem. Although it did create a few issues with the prop and driveshaft. the engine was leaning so far forward that it pulled the prop shaft forward so that the prop was basically grinding on the prop strut. you can see it on the strut as well as the prop. Also the shaft is bowing somewhat so after the engine is out I will have to check to see if it is bent.

Just got my prop back from refurbishing. Looks pretty good. few small issues but with what they were working with I guess I cant complain
    1984 Supra Rider

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Boarder View Post
    Very cool. Man, look at those huge boats in the background. Kinda dwarfs your boat, eh?
    yeah...there are some huge boats there...what is amazing is that transport lift is designed to pick those big boats up and transport them across the street to the river. Wonder what their insurance looks like?
    1984 Supra Rider

Wonder what their insurance looks like?
    Lol That was the first thing I thought, Id love to put them boats in the water with that big machine!

Anyway back to your boat, I saw the shaft was about an inch or so forward, Did it effect the area where the shaft goes thru the hull any? Did you have any kind of a leak?

chautauqua...take a close look at your strut before you get it all back together. mine was bent so bad you could see it was out of alignment but i never bothered to check. had to remove the shaft and pull the strut to bring it in. i bet all of our old set-ups were letting the motor move more than we thought or could see. kinda adds a pucker factor thinking about things that could have gone wrong.

Salty

Yeah as soon as the engine is out I am going to remove the shaft. I was going to replace the shaft bearings anyway. Looking at the stut it seems okay an not bent but I will look at it again. I sent my prop out to proper pitch for repair and I talked to them about the shaft...they can straighten it and the cost was pretty reasonable. hoping it isnt but that is wishful thinking.

No problems from what I can tell in the shaft log through the hull...but will have a better look at it once the shaft is out.
    1984 Supra Rider

Default Gutted

Here are a few of the old stringers and the current state of the boat. Should have the stringers in and glassed by the end of this week. We discovered that one of the previous owners had the deck off before and redid the floor and carpet but did not replace stringers. You can see the multiple rivet holes in the hull in one of the pics. May make it interesting putting it back together when trying to line up or drill new holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chautauquasun; 04-17-2010 at 11:10 PM.
    1984 Supra Rider