Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Looking good. So are the stringers going to be done in multiple pieces?

Whats your plans for your boat anyway? Just stringers? or more?

are you going to stick with the old ski pole?

Sorry guys got busy with work and family. Here are a few new pics. I plan to keep the ski pole and really just restore the boat to what it looked like when it came from the factory. I kind of like the teak...dont know why but i do so I am going to keep with the classic look. I was going to redo the interior as well but I dont think it is in the budget for this year. Hoping to get it done and be able to use it all summer then finish the interior and some other details next fall/winter.

We are a little behind schedule but am hoping to have the floor finished and carpet installed by next week and the deck back on next week as well. Here are some recent pics. Not great ones. Chris has the stingers in and all glassed up and new foam. The boat is solid. Floors have been cut and pieced and should be in by the end of the week...then the final layers of glass.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1984 Supra Rider

Here are a few more..
    1984 Supra Rider

Default Teak Work

I decided to use a different product for the teak. I had done a number pieces with natural teak oil but was not happy with the finish and found that it is already starting to discolor again and it isnt even on the boat. I did some research and talked to a few guys and found that Sikkens Natural Teak may be a better way to go. I keeps the teak looking more natural and lighter in color and it sounds like it should last 3-4 years. I used the satin product...and you can use a nylon scrub to take the satin shine off. Looks pretty good...now I have to decide if I want to strip and the pieces i already oiled...

Here are some before and after shots of the back grab rail. They are a bit shiny in the picture because I just finished apply a 3rd coat. Dries to more of a satin appearance. You can also use a nylon scrub to remove any shine....I like the look and hope the maintenance is a lot less.
    Last edited by chautauquasun; 04-29-2010 at 12:16 AM.
    1984 Supra Rider

It is fir and is going to be resined then layer of fiberglass. He was going to use pressure treated but it was too wet to cover with fiberglass. He tried drying out the pressure treated first but found that the drying process caused it to warp. He actually spoke with George Fowler who originally built the boat and he said to use...the type of fir plywood. I am sure there are a dozen ways to rebuild these boats with all different materials. He is going to fiberglass it up tight so I think it should be good. It is built way better now than it was when it left the factory.
    1984 Supra Rider

Default Teak with Oil and using Sikkens

I have some other pics on my work computer of the oiled teak. I will post the pictures of the oil the Sikkens to compare.
    1984 Supra Rider

Quote Originally Posted by ngavdba View Post
    That teak looks great. I was gonna start restoring mine this weekend. I take it Sikkens is not on the left two pics.
    Where do you buy? Does it dry fast and how many coats are you using? I think that looks very natural. For the amount of work it takes to do these boats, it should last 3-4 years.

Let me know. Thanks.
    Thanks ngavdba...I love the look of your boat and that is part of the reason I decided to keep mine orignal.

The left two pieces are just after I put the teak cleaner on them. I forgot to take a pic of them before I put the cleaner on. Basically looked about the same in color but not wet.

I bought a quart at the West Marine Store here in Pittsburgh. I talked to the guy that owns the store who also owns a large cruiser with lots of teak. He said he did his and it lasted about 4 years before he started to see signs of weathering.

It does dry fast so you have to work kind of fast and becareful not to leave brush strokes. I just take the brush and do a quick pass over the wood so it is one long continuous stroke. I am using 4 coats. You have to let it dry 24 hours in between coats. Before applying a new coat I take a nylon scrub...dish scrub and use it to lightly sand any imperfections. The nylon scrub works well because it does not remove much of the product and makes it feel smooth. It should last about 4 years which is way better than the teak oil which seems to last about 3 weeks.
    1984 Supra Rider

funny thing , in my shop i have some of my teak some with just a can of teak oil from lowes and a few done with Sikkens ( my boss gave it to me becuase he didnt like the gloss ) I like the natural look of just the plain oil , but the Sikkens product is really starting to look good to me . .. Going to put on 3 coats ( his advice ) and see how it looks ...
    Brack
    1984 Supra Rider
    454 / 1:1 trans
    213 Hours !!
    " work in progress "