Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Tinting your windows on an '08 22V

I had my boat windows tinted last month and wanted to send some information out on this. After doing this, my first piece of advice, make sure you truly have a skilled window tinter that can do boat wrap around one piece windows! The Supra windows have a wicked bend and create a lot of problems for tinters. I took my windows to three different shops before I could find someone who actually could handle the job. If you live in Northern California, ACME Stereo and Upholstry in South Sacramento did an awesome job, "Ben" will take care of you.... I highly recommend them.

(1) The first thing you will need to do is remove the windows from the boat. Remove the center walk through window first. There are 4 phillips screws that hold the window onto the frame. Simply remove them and take the window off.

(2) Next you will remove the wrap around windows from the boat. This sounds like a lot of work but it is quite easy. First disconnect the support members located on either side of the walk through window. There is a slider phillips screw, simply remove it and the brace will come free. You can also loosen the bottom screw bracket if need be.

(3) Next, there is a rubber strip located at the bottom of the window frame that needs to be removed. Gently pull it out and slowly peel it away from the frame. After removing this strip this will expose the screws that hold the window/frame on the boat.

(4) Once exposed remove the screws taking care not to scratch your frames. There are a couple tricky screws, one being under the front tower mount, you will need a shortie to get this one and the other is on the back top frame, you will also need a shortie for this one. There is one other screw that has a nut on the other side of it located about 3/4 of the way towards the front, it will be the one that never loosens. If you are by yourself put a small vice grip on the backside to hold the nut and unscrew it and it will loosen up.

(5) The windows can now be removed from the boat, they are awkward to move around so be careful not to hit your gelcoat. I layed a moving blanket over the swimdeck and placed them on there to make taking them out of the boat easier.

Now you can take the windows to the tinter, I chose 35% because I do a lot of early morning and late evening skiing and the 20% makes it a little tough to see. Either way its a matter of preference. They used Llumar tint on the windows and did it with one piece, no light gaps, fingers or bubbles. The shop also removed the frames from the window which I would also recommend.

Installation is just reversed, you will have to re-adjust your walkthrough window which takes some trial and error with the brace location. If you have any more q's please just ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

Cool

Excellent mod fman....very cool. I think it would look good on my boat
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

I like the look, especially since you have basically the same color pattern, logo and boat I do!

I would recommend it to anyone, it does add a polished/upgraded look to the boat and from what I hear it actually does help eliminate some glare on the water. I will find out this season.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

how about night. I already struggle to see when it is pitch black and no moon.

You will be over the windshield at night if you tint your windows, the 35% will give you a little better vision at dusk/late evening, 20% will give you even less, 5% limo even worse. I am sure at night you are not traveling to fast anyway, but it is definitely something to consider before you make the investment.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

I'm planning on having this done to our new boat. I was really hoping it could be done on the boat. Guess I'll take it to my tinted and see what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    I'm planning on having this done to our new boat. I was really hoping it could be done on the boat. Guess I'll take it to my tinted and see what he says.
    On the newer Supras its near impossible to tint the windows on the boat because there is very little room from the dash to window clearance. Again, take it from my mishaps, make sure your tinter has done many boat windows. There is nothing worse than picking up your windows and not being satisfied, along with having to deny someone payment.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

I dropped my windows off at tinter #3 this afternoon, so we shall see. Here are some pictures to go along with the removal steps

1. I had 2 pins to pop out in order to remove the walkthough window

2. Remove the rubber strip to expose the screws

3. I used a drill/screw gun to remove the screws.

4. My boat had (1) screw/nut combo on each window. I put a vise grip on the nut, and just backed the screw out with the drill.

5. Remove the screws for the window support

6. Lift the frames off the boat

Here's a picture of the tough-to-get-to screw under the tower