Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

A couple other misc. pictures from the removal

Screws

Tint guy #1 spent 2.5 hours on this first pane of glass before giving up. Here's a shot of 20% on the front pane, and a bare back panel for comparison.

I just pulled mine off tonight as well. My removal was exactly like Scotts. My pics blow, but you get the idea. Looks goofy with no glass. I actually have a spot, the very back corner on the starboard side, where it looks like the mount was loose. It messes up a dime size area of fiberglass. I'm going to attempt at a small fill. The frame completely covers it, but maybe this way it won't worsen

2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Nice work fellas, the pictures look great. I hope you have success with finding a tinter, there is always Ben at ACME in Sacramento, CA. He has one of the best tinters I have seen doing his boat windows.

Post up some more pics when they are done!
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

I dropped my glass(still in the frame) off to the tinter today. He said he is going to take the frames off and he told me he should be able to do it. I'm a bit nervouse now, after seeing his face as he assured me he could do it.

Planning on picking them up Friday, hopefully with a layer of 20% 3M tint. And since he is taking them out of the frames, I'm sure I will spend Friday evening going over every screw making sure it is correctly put back together. Did I mention how much I hate having someone else work on my stuff?
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    I dropped my glass(still in the frame) off to the tinter today. He said he is going to take the frames off and he told me he should be able to do it. I'm a bit nervouse now, after seeing his face as he assured me he could do it.

Planning on picking them up Friday, hopefully with a layer of 20% 3M tint. And since he is taking them out of the frames, I'm sure I will spend Friday evening going over every screw making sure it is correctly put back together. Did I mention how much I hate having someone else work on my stuff?
    Make sure he replaces the rivets with stainless #66 2 1/8".
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

Picked my windshields up from tint guy #3 this afternoon......
    then dropped them off with tint guy #4....

I really think I may have to make a trip out to Sac. Once the ballast upgrade parts arrive, I'll head out and Travis can help me with the mod while his tint guy does my windows...

Plus, I don't want to pay for a hotel, so I'll/we'll be staying at your house Travis

Is your glass out of the frames or are all these guys trying with them still assembled?
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by ScottnAz View Post
    Picked my windshields up from tint guy #3 this afternoon......
    then dropped them off with tint guy #4....

I really think I may have to make a trip out to Sac. Once the ballast upgrade parts arrive, I'll head out and Travis can help me with the mod while his tint guy does my windows...

Plus, I don't want to pay for a hotel, so I'll/we'll be staying at your house Travis
    I was able to stop at tinter #3, so you have me beat... maybe #4 will be able to come through for you! Another option for you would be to contact your dealer and see if they can recommend anyone that does there boats? or a reputable stereo shop that does boats might also be another good contact.

I have a spare bedroom, your more than welcomed to crash at my place.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    Is your glass out of the frames or are all these guys trying with them still assembled?
    Still assembled. I'm too skeered to take them out of the frames myself, and the only tint guy I spoke with that would take them out and reassemble wanted an extra $250.

Tint guy #1- had trouble with the curve (clearly hadn't done many boats even though he tried to convince me otherwise)
    Tint guy #2- I had no business going to him, I was impatient and wanted it done asap after wasting my time with #1, my fault.
    Tint guy #3- dirt in the film, sloppy and large light gaps
    Tint guy #4- Supra dealer's tinter (although, this is their 1st time working with him)

Nautiqe dealer had no recommendations for a tint guy
    Mastercraft dealer sent me to theirs for a quote. He seemed a little apprehensive to tint the windows. I think there was a combination of different style window than he was used to, and hearing about me going through tint guys probably turned him off from wanting to deal with me.
    Supra dealer, like I said, is using a guy that's new to them, but hopefully since it's getting done under the watchful eye of the dealer it will finally get done. I actually talked to the Supra dealer after #1, but they didn't have their guy lined up yet, and so I kept truckin along.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottnAz View Post
    Still assembled. I'm too skeered to take them out of the frames myself, and the only tint guy I spoke with that would take them out and reassemble wanted an extra $250.

Tint guy #1- had trouble with the curve (clearly hadn't done many boats even though he tried to convince me otherwise)
    Tint guy #2- I had no business going to him, I was impatient and wanted it done asap after wasting my time with #1, my fault.
    Tint guy #3- dirt in the film, sloppy and large light gaps
    Tint guy #4- Supra dealer's tinter (although, this is their 1st time working with him)

Nautiqe dealer had no recommendations for a tint guy
    Mastercraft dealer sent me to theirs for a quote. He seemed a little apprehensive to tint the windows. I think there was a combination of different style window than he was used to, and hearing about me going through tint guys probably turned him off from wanting to deal with me.
    Supra dealer, like I said, is using a guy that's new to them, but hopefully since it's getting done under the watchful eye of the dealer it will finally get done. I actually talked to the Supra dealer after #1, but they didn't have their guy lined up yet, and so I kept truckin along.

Dont give up, you will eventually find someone. Removing the glass from the frames will make a huge difference, you can do this yourself. Its not too big of a project, just take your time.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV