Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

On to #5
    This is getting ridiculous

Wow, sorry for the troubles Scott, that blows.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by ScottnAz View Post
    On to #5
    This is getting ridiculous

I was finally successful with #4.... you are now the new champion

Sorry you are having so many problems, as you can see it takes a very skilled tinter who is going to take there time. For what its worth, I have LLUMAR film, not 3M... maybe the LLUMAR is a little better for the curves??? And I have to ask, are they heating up the tint with a heat gun???? I believe this is what makes the difference allowing the tint to curve to the window.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

Yeah, they've been heating the tint with a heat gun. I of the guys along the way, complained that the tint was shrinking too much from the gun, and therefore creating large light gaps (1/4"). That's how he left it, instead of redoing with a larger piece of film.

#4 didn't do a bad job, in fact, didn't do anything at all. I dropped the shields off at the dealer 2 Wednesdays ago (24th) with the promise of having them by the weekend. Dealer called Friday night and said the guy completed one side, that looks GREAT because he did it twice because he wasn't happy, but wanted to do the other side over the weekend and I'd have them Monday. Monday....Tuesday....Wednesday came so I finally called. Dealer said the tint guy would have them done by the weekend. (heard that the previous week), and again, like deja vu, dealer calls on Friday and promises them by Monday (yesterday). I didn't hear from the dealer yesterday, so I stopped in around lunch time. Turns out, the tint guy hasn't even started them yet! I was pretty pissed, and dropped a couple F bombs because it's been nearly 2 weeks, and nothing has been done. I said I'd be back for the windshields because they won't fit in my wife's EOS

I saw a Supra for sale locally with tinted glass so I contacted the seller for a recommendation for a tint guy. I'll call his tinter today (closed Mondays), and see when he can get them done. Right now the windshields are still at the dealer with promises of having them completed today, but I may just pick them up this morning and continue my journey.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottnAz View Post
    Yeah, they've been heating the tint with a heat gun. I of the guys along the way, complained that the tint was shrinking too much from the gun, and therefore creating large light gaps (1/4"). That's how he left it, instead of redoing with a larger piece of film.

#4 didn't do a bad job, in fact, didn't do anything at all. I dropped the shields off at the dealer 2 Wednesdays ago (24th) with the promise of having them by the weekend. Dealer called Friday night and said the guy completed one side, that looks GREAT because he did it twice because he wasn't happy, but wanted to do the other side over the weekend and I'd have them Monday. Monday....Tuesday....Wednesday came so I finally called. Dealer said the tint guy would have them done by the weekend. (heard that the previous week), and again, like deja vu, dealer calls on Friday and promises them by Monday (yesterday). I didn't hear from the dealer yesterday, so I stopped in around lunch time. Turns out, the tint guy hasn't even started them yet! I was pretty pissed, and dropped a couple F bombs because it's been nearly 2 weeks, and nothing has been done. I said I'd be back for the windshields because they won't fit in my wife's EOS

I saw a Supra for sale locally with tinted glass so I contacted the seller for a recommendation for a tint guy. I'll call his tinter today (closed Mondays), and see when he can get them done. Right now the windshields are still at the dealer with promises of having them completed today, but I may just pick them up this morning and continue my journey.
    At least you know never to go back to that dealer, they sound just a little flakey... nice of them to lie to you! Sounds like you are on the right track with your newest contact. Best of luck, hope it works out well for you.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

I'll get a better pic when we head out this weekend, it's not as dark as it seems in this picture

Scott, looks great!! Really nice with the white/yellow combo.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

Looks great. I thought I wanted to do this for a while now, but with all the problems I hear about getting them done, and the fairly steep price - I think I have other things
    I want done with the limited "bling" budget first - but it looks SWEET!

I think it would look good on my all-white boat too - but not right now. For instance,
    I would rather put an HSE (volume control) in first - too bad I missed out on the
    deal they recently had -- the shower and fake-a-lake drained my bling budget for now.
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

Yeah, you definitely have to pace yourself (don't try to keep up with fman )

2 season ago I did the HSE and new headunit
    Last season was FAE and larger ballast bags
    This season has been window tint and Tsunami ballast pump system mod

I've got to try (try?? yeah right) to keep the mods to a minimun this season since I'll be replacing both batteries any day (both are 5 years old, and original to the boat)

I was certainly surprised how difficult a task it was to find a tint guy for these windows. On top of having to deal with 5 different tint guys, I probably left messages for another dozen that didn't even bother replying. I don't know if it's a sign of the economy, or just poor customer service, that they didn't return the messages? But, I got it done. I had quotes from $150 to $500, and ended up paying $210, so I shouldn't complain too much considering how much some others are paying.

Close the thread now, cause you probably don't want to see this picture. This is the one that made me decide that I NEEDED to have the windows tinted: NAW's Supra

No more projects for me this year, my boat fund is tapped out, I still am debating over ordering an extra prop, regardless, that'll be it for now.

$210 for your windows is a great price, did they remove the frames? any light gaps? average I have seen is $300-$400.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV