Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Member; Winter Upgrades

I just wanted to take a second to introduce myself and say thanks to all the people that post on the forum. I know I haven’t been posting but I have been on reading and finding most of the information I need to know for my first summer behind a wake boat.

I have been riding behind an aluminum deck boat the past few years so I’d say it’s about time for a change. I bought a 2006 Supra 24SSV this December so I’ve had some time to read the forums, do some research, and start working on upgrades.

Upgrades for this winter:
    -Replaced the 400 rear bags with 750’s. Going to try to use one of those 400s in the bow to level out the load (I was told 50/50 front to back works well on these boats). 1550 in the bow and 1500 in the rear lockers. Then I’ll have the other 400 to play with a surf wake if needed.
    -Installed a monster wakeboard rack and a monster surf rack above the stock Roswell racks.
    -Upgraded the stock Kenwood tower speakers to Bullet 6.5” coaxials. Upgraded stock Kenwood in boat speakers to Polk DB series. Going to remove stock Kenwood sub and put an Alpine Type R in a ported box at the driver kick panel (I hope, still waiting to see how it fits). In-boat being pushed by stock Kenwood amp, towers being pushed by 2 JL monoblocks, sub being pushed by Alpine Type R 600.1. I know the towers aren’t HLCD which seems to be the big recommendation but hopefully it will serve its purposes and still be loud enough to hear at riding distance. Please tell me it will! HLCD’s are likely to be a future upgrade, just hopefully not real soon as I have other places I’d rather spend the money.
    -Pulled off the TERRIBLE looking flames on the sides. No offense to anyone but just not my style. Still trying to decide whether to leave it black or put on another decal. Worked with the dealer to get the tribal decal as part of the price on the boat, just haven’t decided if I want it on or not.

I feel like I made some pretty good and informed upgrade decisions which were based mostly on the Supra and Moomba forums. The people I have worked with have been great! David at Earmark was a huge help and John waterskis.com was great as well. (I know it’s a Mastercraft dealer, please forgive me) Kenton at Monster has also been willing to help. My surf rack was pretty loose and likely to rattle a lot. He is supposed to be sending me another one ASAP.

Apologies for the long post, just wanted to let everyone know the result of all the forums I have been reading. Y’all have been a huge help. Let me know your opinions, feel free to give “constructive” criticism.

I’m ready to hit the lake! Oh, wetsuit recommendations? 3mm, 4mm? Brand? Mid 40’s and up water temp and mid 50’s and up air temp.

Also, what bouys do you guys use to tie up to docks and others? Are there wake boat specific bouys?

What about anchors?

I know these could be different post but we can just call things a newbie needs to know.

Welcome. It sounds like you have a good start there.

I do not have HLCD's either and I can hear mine at riding distance no prob.

In the early spring our conditions are similar to the ones you described and I wear a 7.5mm wet suit. I is not a riding wetsuit though, it was designed for diving. It doesn't move very well at all but it keeps me warm and lets me ride. I dont do any crazy tricks anyways.

I just got standard dockmate i think fenders online. They are 15-20 bucks a piece. I think think you need anything special, someone may have some ideas for styles that work better.

Lastly, I use a grapling style anchor which I think works fine. There is a big discussion going on about box anchors which seem to work ok.
    2005 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Semper Fidelis

Wow talk about an upgrade! Nice work! Welcome to the forums. Hope to see many PICTURES soon!

Your ballast sounds great. IMO the 400s in the bow work great and you still have lots of storage room! You have the playpen bow?

Lots of options for fenders, wake boats usually have sides that are not straight up and down, and the rub rail sticks out a lot. So straight fenders really aren't that effective imho. I still have them, I have some pics in my gallery in my signature where they are in use but they stick out funny. But lots of others on wakeworld like the 'hippity hops' from wallmart or toys r us. They are kids bouncy balls you sit on with a handle. They are also deflatable to stow flat.

I love my monster racks and mirror. Lots of surf boards fit in the wake rack too. Shred Stixx and other hand-shaped thicker boards do not.

I'm also looking for wetsuits or drysuit, and waterskis.com ie midwest mastercraft is my closest dealer/proshop so I go there a lot. They are a very standup dealer in Minneapolis.
    Last edited by 87SunSportMikeyD; 03-02-2010 at 05:32 PM.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

I never thought about using one of those as a fender. Do they seem to work well? I might have to give it a shot because mine stick out funny as well
    2005 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Semper Fidelis

I will try to get some pics up soon.

Yes, it is the play pen bow with the 1150 sac under it. I am not sure if there is room under the bow cushions (to the sides of the center sac) to get a sac under there but i have my fingers crossed. If i had to put both 400's up there and only have the ability to fill them half full, that would also work. I would like to have as much ballast hidden as i can. Save room for the gas paying friends and family!

Wow you are thinking of putting them in there ALONG WITH the 1150 center sac???? Holy cow!!! You are gonna love surfing too it is super fun.

The hippitys are supposed to work well because they are round so they will hang past the rubrail but still protect it. Sorry hard to describe. A WW search should provide some pics.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

I like the idea of the hippitys. I will have to check out WW.

The plan is to "slam", i believe that is the terminology i have seen on here. I was also told the weight distribution works best (at least for my boat) where the front is the same as back. The plan is to do 1500 in the rear and 1500 up front, or close to it. If someone has experiences otherwise, please let me know. I am unsure whether or not the 750's will completely fill in the rear lockers. Maybe someone knows that as well?

I have never surfed but def looking forward to it! Hurry up summer!

Sounds like you have most everything covered. I wear a 2mm Farmer John with 2mm jacket type wetsuit. That essentially makes it a 4/2. I've been in 50* water (with low 60's air) and been comfortable.

You are going to have a TON of ballast. Just be weary of swamping the boat. I friend of mine driving my boat did it just with a full bow of people and its not fun. A LOT of water can come over that thing. Let's just say that he doesn't drive anymore... There is a post on WW about "slammed" boats and some of them look like they are really pushing the limits, its kind of funnny. Well good luck again with all of the upgrades!
    2005 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Semper Fidelis

Welcome! I'm a newb too, but I have yet to find my boat for the summer... Sounds like a nice rig, when do we get to see pics?