Default WTB Ski Pylon & Mount - 89 Saltare

Well, as I continue to tear into it - I find more "creative modifications" by the previous owner. Now I'm looking for the center ski tow pylon and the mount to the hull. The spread on the mount is ~20.75" stringer-to-stringer and nominally 12" from the top plate (where the pylon inserts) down to the flange that attaches to the rear two bolts of the front turn fin. The pylon has ~36" of projection from the top mount flange. Don't know the overall length because it's WELDED to a POS fabricated plate that bolts to some remaining parts of the original mount (just because you own a welder, doesn't make you a welder).

I'm adding a tower, but would like to keep a pylon (we still ski & nostalgia, I guess) if it was removable. But with this "modification", it ain't coming out once the new floor is down. Don't know for sure, but they're probably the same standard pieces for Sunsports of the era - so, any of you rebuilders out there not putting the pylon back in???? Worst case, I'll hit up Viper & add to my list of parts he's already sending.

Thanks
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

the ski pole is frickin heavy. i'd hate to see what shipping is on it. i didn't put mine back in, after a few months of it sitting around in the way it hit the trash. the boat feels even roomier with out it although it does (did) make for a good hand-hold when walking around or sitting on the engine cover.

do you have a pic? mine had some ugly welds too...out of sight kinda thing i guess. the pole is supposed to slide out of the base but once you get to the point that the floor is rotten, that base has seen a bunch of corrosion. that's the main reason i left it out...didn't want to mess with it and it wasn't needed.

Yeah, don't think I'll really miss a pylon with a tower if I leave it out - can ski/board from the tower and tube the kids (oh, the horror of it all) from the transom ring. The only way I'd put one back in is if it was removable in case it just got in the way.

Looks like a PO cut the center section out of the original mount and bolted a new top plate to the side mounting flanges. You can't quite tell from the picture, but the top plate is welded to the pylon and sleeve so the bottom mount, sleeve, top plate and pylon are now one piece - it's not coming out after a new floor goes on top. Oh well, the Saltare never threw a true competition ski wake & I'm bastardizing - I mean, "updating" - her during the rebuild anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I actually feel like I gained a lot of space up there w/o the pylon. Easy to have two spotters sit up there now and people love to sit on the doghouse next to the driver too.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

O.k., now I've changed my mind (again, I think). I skied off of a tower for the first time last week - it was still friggin cold with a poor fitting loaner 7mm suit. Only one run & rusty from the off-season I'm sure, but it sure didn't feel right.

So again, anybody or ideas for a late 80's pylon and mounting base/bracket assembly? Pylon needs to be loose from the base plate - not welded or rusted in. Thanks.

I'm not going to put mine back in, but I haven't been successful getting it apart. I haven't tried much either. I'd like to get rid of it.

Thanks Okie,

With the great progress you're making, I'm not gonna ask you to take time out to work some rusty metal parts loose. However, if they were to just happen to separate after a good soaking in PB Blaster, I'd be interested. I know shipping's gonna be $, so I don't want to waste good cash on another boat anchor (I've already got one of those).

Quit lollygagging around & get that boat back in the water already. JK - keep up the good work.

I hear ya. I might try the PB Blaster when I'm all done and see what happens. I'll be sure to let you know if I do.

Not able to pull up the pictures obviously it’s been on here for a while but I was looking for any pictures for the Ski pylon below floor mounting structure for a 97 supra saltare