Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amp Rack

Default Amp Rack

So I just wanted to show everybody the Amp Rack I built this weekend. I have to give credit to jonyb for the idea. I was having some issues figuring out how to mount my amp to the inside of the hull. Here are some pictures.

What it looked like before. (My ghetto amp rack)

I cut holes in the carpet along the hull

Gorilla glued small blocks I cut from a 2x6

Last edited by TayTay; 02-16-2010 at 12:05 AM.
    2005 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Semper Fidelis

Cut out a piece of 1/2" MDF for the rack

Used spray adhesive and staples for the carpet

Mounted Amp to the rack

2005 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Semper Fidelis

Mounted Amp and Rack in the boat and screwed the rack to the blocks that glued in.

I am now in the process of moving my batteries where you see them in the pictures and cleaning up all of the wiring.
    2005 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Semper Fidelis

Looks great, want to come to VA and do my amp ramp - which broke in half? Did you coat the MDF in anything before you glued the carpet down? How strong of a bond is the wood to the glass?
    2011 Malibu Wakesetter 247LSV

Looks good. I'm looking to do something similar when mine is put back together. That looks like the KX700.5, is that what it is? I'm going to get that amp, although it might be next year. I'm planning on getting the KX450.2 to drive my tower speakers for sure. I'm going to try to build a rack like you did and make enough room for the KX450.2 and my current sub amp, but allow enough room for the future change to the KX700.5.

I love the "clamps" you used to hold the blocks in place.

Good Job
    Jony is the one I would take advice from.

Quote Originally Posted by WadsworthSunsport22V View Post
    Looks great, want to come to VA and do my amp ramp - which broke in half? Did you coat the MDF in anything before you glued the carpet down? How strong of a bond is the wood to the glass?
    I didn't coat the MDF in anything. I dont really plan on it getting wet back there. I guess, to be safe you could coat it in a primer/sealer or something like that. The bond between the blocks and glass is pretty good. I had to redo two of the because I didn't have enough direct pressure. That is key.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Boarder View Post
    Looks good. I'm looking to do something similar when mine is put back together. That looks like the KX700.5, is that what it is? I'm going to get that amp, although it might be next year. I'm planning on getting the KX450.2 to drive my tower speakers for sure. I'm going to try to build a rack like you did and make enough room for the KX450.2 and my current sub amp, but allow enough room for the future change to the KX700.5.

I love the "clamps" you used to hold the blocks in place.
    That is the 700.5. I got it online for a pretty resonable price I think. It does what I need. I have the four channels bridged for the tower speakers and then the sub. The other amp I have on the other side is the 400.4 I think. It may be 350.4, I dont really remember. It was hard to figure out the best way to put pressure on those blocks so I figured the battery is pretty heavy. It worked pretty good.
    2005 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Semper Fidelis

Looks great TayTay. Looks like you could have also screwe the amp right to the blocks and skipped the backer board you made, it wouldnt look as clean, but still an option!
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Ya, that is another option. The backer board was cheap, $9 for the wood, $10 for the carpet so it was worth the money and little extra time for that. Plus the wood is actually sitting on the floor and then screwed into the blocks so there really isn't any pressure due to gravity effecting the blocks which is nice. When we are out and the boat is pounding over the waves, the floor is what is going to be supporting the amp. The blocks keep it from tipping pretty much.
    2005 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Semper Fidelis

Great work and thanks for posting the pictorial and thread. Thanks to Jonyb for helping out.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey