Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Swap

Default Speaker Swap

Anyone know what the max speaker size that will fit in my stock cans? Doesn't look like I will be able to afford the Wet Sounds set up this year so I need to stick something in there for now. One of the speakers locked up last year. I am assuming it is a coil issue and just calling it blown. The speakers now are MB Quart 6.5's and the cans look like they will house something bigger. Maybe a 7"? I don't want to put all that much into this since I plan to go with the Wet Sounds or Samson set up, but I do want to get something up there.

What do you guys think? Not sure if you can see from this pic but I don't have the boat here to take a new one.

[IMG][/IMG]
    -----------------------

2004 Supra Launch SS

Acme 913 prop, WS 420, Kicker L5 sub, JL/Kicker amps, Kicker in boats, Polk mm in roswell bar, 3000# ballast.

"Never underestimate a man that Overestimates himself."

Do you live in a castle? Awesome looking house
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

Of course. Everyone does. That is what makes us King. (When the queen isn't around). His just looks more authentic.

This is why he has the boat...to use the expensive mote he has...
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

Thanks.

She got the house, I got the boat. Now lets hope I never have to sleep in the boat. Been close a few times.
    -----------------------

2004 Supra Launch SS

Acme 913 prop, WS 420, Kicker L5 sub, JL/Kicker amps, Kicker in boats, Polk mm in roswell bar, 3000# ballast.

Not sure on the size of your cans. I swapped my stock 6.5" out for Bullet 6.5". They will handle much more power and the quality is supposed to be top of the line. Once you upgrade the tower, you can always throw them in the boat. On sale for $300 for 2 pair right now. Wetsounds new one is also an option, the ss-65, i think. Both should be an easy swap.

If your looking for lower cost, the Polk db series may be an option, $50 a pair.
    I'm swapping mine out this weekend and hope to have some pictures up after I'm done you can check out.

Bullet also makes a 6.5" HLCD that is a direct swap.

Polk's are okay, but remember, they're car speakers. They aren't made to be in the sun and weather for too long. The SS-65's have a totally different sound as well.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

Ok. Thanks for all the help.

Think I'm going with the wetsounds ss-65. Figure I am going with the 3some in the future so might as well match the in boat speakers too. I can always pull them out of the cans and throw them in the boat when I pull the trigger.
    -----------------------

2004 Supra Launch SS

Sounds like a great plan and in the end everything matches! I'm taking the same approach but with Bullet. I went ahead and bought amps that would have no problem pushing the HLCD's once I upgrade that way my only cost is the speakers and heavier wiring. As for now, I can turn down the amp. Something to think about.

CM,

Visit us in Lewisville, as we have everyone of those options in stock to compare.

I agree, if you're eventually going with wetsounds hlcds on the tower it only makes sense to use something that will be uniform.

David
    EarmarkMarine

WTF???? Someone been smokin al little 2 much on 420??