Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    According to my manual the 351 weighs 856lbs with the trans. As Okie said if you find any rot in the stringers or cross members pull the cap and replace it all. A patch job may buy you some time but the real fix is to replace it all.
    Thanks, appreciate the quick response

Still looking for advice on pulling out my pylon per the picture above with yellow highlight I added. Is that the right place for applying the PB spray? I've been swinging the sledge hammer upwards hitting the top of pylon to try and break it free. I don't care if I wreck the pylon as I plan to install a tower. Maybe it would be easier to sawzall the brace that holds the pylon just above the plate that is bolted through the hull?

Yeah, the pylon should seperate right there. Below that you should see 4 "set bolts" that help hold the pylon in place. But that area you highlighted is kind of the "collar" where the pole should slide out. If you can't get it seperated and you do want to remove it, just unbolt it from the stringers and from the floor where it bolts to the tracking fins.

How are you getting the foam out? I used my air chisel...seemed to work pretty good.

Definitely dig around a lot and drill some "test" holes in the stringers where you can to see what the wood is like. I actually had a few areas of one stringer that was "solid" wood. Look at my thread and go back to the pictures from just last week. You can see there is light "sawdust" towards the back of the main stringer. The was the most solid wood I found in the boat. Even that wood didn't have a whole lot of structure to it. You could break it with a twist side load like it was a piece of balsa.

Thanks, I'll work on bangin' it out for a couple more days then will likely revert to removing from stringers / hull as you mention.

I've been removing the foam with a crowbar, coming out in ~6" chunks without much trouble. It's down-right enjoyable labor if I have something good on the radio!

I expect that I'll end up replacing the stringers, just taking one step at a time and hoping I'm wrong once I get all the foam out and thoroughly check them.

Looking good so far! Would love to see pics showing the condition of the stringers once you get that foam out!
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Yeah, taking out the foam isn't too bad.

Grinding, on the other hand...have I mentioned I hate grinding?

i purchased an 86 ts6m at the end of last summer and did the same as you. was a soft spot under the drivers seat i hoped to be able to patch but found the soaking wet foam as well. I am going to attempt to replace the stringers without pulling the deck off but you should pull your gas tank as well all the floor and foam under there was toast as well. what do you guys suggest to use for the new foam?

good luck 87supracomp...i'm sure we all started out hoping it was just going to be a patch repair. i had most of the foam out before i pulled the topcap. the deepest part of the hull will have been wettest the longest and therefore probably the most rotten. if the deepest part of the comp hull isn't too far forward, you might get lucky.

Oakies thread has a good discussion on foam. On the more recent pages.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Default Step three: Cap removal

Taking the soft rubber rail off was fairly easy, only tricky parts were where my boat was pressed against the trailer supports. The hard rail that the soft was attached to had lots of screws to remove and broke in one place given the stiffness, but not bad. Drilling out the rivets went fairly well too, but like the rail there were a few I couldn't get to because of the trailer supports. Those I couldn't drill out were hack out w/small saw. Once I got those all removed the top cap came loose without too much trouble. Beer will get my neighbors here over the weekend to carry the cap and set it in the back yard.

I'm planning to set the cap on the ground and put a tarp over it. Okie or Salty, I noticed you supported yours off the ground. Do you see a structural problem with ground storage? I realize it will be more difficult to work on if not elevated, but right now I don't see that as a show stopper.

Once removed I'll be able to fully dive into the floor / stringer evaluation.

One lesson learned...don't try and remove the morse / throttle control unless absolutely necessary. It's easier to unhook the two cable on the tranny and carb and keep that whole unit with the cap.

btw...thanks for the feedback on the pylon removal. I couldn't get mine to budge after 3 days of PB Blaster and sledge hammer so instead I took the entire unit out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 87 Supra Comp TS6m; 04-08-2010 at 10:54 AM.

I wouldn't just set it on the ground. Every picture I've seen it has at least been on a ground cart or something that supports in more under the gunnels than anything. Seems like that is naturally where it wants to be supported.