Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Packing Nut

Awesome man, I took mine into the shop and paid $325 to get it done. It was funny becuase the invoice said Parts: $5, the rest was aaaaallllll labor. Haven't been out yet though since then. Just too busy right, it sucks!
    2005 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Semper Fidelis

Has to be said....

B-Break
    O-Out
    A-Another
    T-Thousand

Isnt this the truth!
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

Default nearly sunk my boat this weekend

Funny you should mention packing nut, last summer I replaced shaft strut and propeller shaft because of a bent strut and noisy packing nut, ever since that repair I seemed to have more water in the bilge, automatic bilge was coming on more than would be expected
    Packing nut had 1 drip every 6 seconds so where was water coming from hhmmm

I always use a good sealer for any thru fitting or connection and felt I had no hull leaks.Easter weekend I had 6 days off and weather was lousy so I spent 4 days pressure washing dock,fixing water line and lights and new galvanized plates for fiberglass boat wips.

Last weekend I decided to put boat in the ocean and leave it overnight at the dock so I could see if new mounting plates for dock wips were sercure
    with 14 lag bolts holding down on a 2foot square plate rather than 3 inch round base on wip mount.Dock is 25 years old so big plates will spread out the torsion flex from wips holding a 22 foot boat way from dock

Plates worked great but I had other problems** When I removed mooring cover I noticed alot of water in bow below play pen seating** I quicky lifted engine box and noticed water was full in bilge area and starter motor was submerged in salt water** Waaaaaaaaa my boat**

Stupid of me I left ignition button above key in the off postion when I left the boat in on Saturday so there was no power to the automatic bilge pump

So I pumped out all the water( 20 minutes) removed flooring fore and aft of engine box to check thru hull fittings and ballast pump connections etc. Also removed starter motor and took it home and flushed out salt and relubed gears and bendix.

The good news is I found my leak!! When I started motor I saw a huge squirt of water from passenger side exhaust muffler it had a 2 inch split in it from where 4 inch connection to manifold hose changes to 6 or 8 inch muffler body. I have repaired fiberglass muffler with short hair fiberglass putty and some fiberglass fabmat ( cloth & roving) and re gelcoated repair area!!

Should I beef up other muffler up while I got it all apart?,maybe we stepped
    muffler last year when we werei installing strut and shaft?? Or is it just
    a poorly manufactured product

Muffler is made by Ultra Marine Products in Tennesee has anyone else had
    any failures with these mufflers Notsureif I like the way they are installed
    by Supra either. 4 inch hose comes from manifold, connects to a 90 degree
    elbow on muffler this elbow is clamped with a large aluminum clamp to hull stringer and muffler body is on a few degree angle downward towards hull
    then a soft house connection to exhaust flappers on transom.

I think it should be muffler body that is saftey strapped with rubber and clamp to stringer and I feel the exhaust hose between manifold riser and muffler is way to stiff or rigid to allow for engine vibration which would put more strain on muffler body. Muffler seems like a combination of ABS pipe and fiberglass all puttied and glassed together**

Sorry if this thread is so long, but almost loosing my boat was upsetting**
    any advice or idea's are greatly appriceated>>>
    Dave

Last weekend was nice so I p