Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I need a long board. Which one?

So we got our first trip out last weekend and surfed for the first time. We are starting on a hyperlite swell hoping we could pick it up quick. Going a little slower than we had hoped. We are thinking we need a long board to start and one for the boat for beginners.

Any recommendations? We want a long board. Doesn't have to be beginner dedicated. Just a good board that's easy to cruise on.

I started on, and still ride, a CWB Ride. It is 5'3" and very easy to ride. It has three removable fins in the back and a removable fin in the front. I really like the board.
    2005 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Semper Fidelis

We use a Hyperlite Broadcast for the beginner board. The Landlock is okay too, great for newbs but not much use after the can stand up. Inland Surfer Blue or Red get good reviews. I have used an ocean surf board but newbs tend to kick it into the back of the boat DOH!
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

My buddy put a scratch on my brand new (to me) boat this weekend with te board!!!! I was ready to kill him!! Should buff out.

I see the cwb ride has a rubber guard on the front.

I just ordered a Hyperlite Broadcast 4.9 for our first tries... i hope we wont get too frustrated with it.

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Any recommendations? We want a long board. Doesn't have to be beginner dedicated. Just a good board that's easy to cruise on.
    Does it have to fit in a regular wakeboard rack? If you have a surf rack, then I'd recommend the CWB RAZR. It's a good board for all levels. My older daughter is learning on this board instead of the broadcast we have. Heck, everyone rides the RAZR, and the only time the broadcast gets ridden is when I am out there surfing doubles with my 6 year old daughter. The Blue Lake from Inland is a good board for all levels too.

We also have a I.S. Woody, which would definitely qualify as a long board that's good for just cruising. Although, this board has a tendency for pearling, which I don't understand because it's such a long and buoyant board. This board also need a surf board specific rack.

Regular wakeboard rack, I'd probably go with the 5.6 Broadcast for a good board. Or the CWB Ride. Inland Surfer has a new board out this season, that fits the wakeboard racks (I believe), called the Squirt. Looks like it could be a good all around board, and it's made by Inland, so you can't go wrong there.

Heck, what's your budget? Have you looked around for anything used?

I just ordered a Hyperlite Broadcast 4.9 for our first tries... i hope we wont get too frustrated with it.
    The Broadcast is a good board to have around, I'm sure it will work out well for you and your crew. Why'd you choose the 4.9 instead of 5.6?
    2005 Supra Launch 22ssv - yellow/black

Dang Scott, a couple hours late. I got too antzy and went ahea and ordered. Plus I really wanted it by next weekend. I went back and forth on the ride and the rzr but felt like the rzr was just a bit more advanced than I was looking for. Sounds like it might have been just right. Oh well, from what I hve read, here and othe places, the ride should do the trick.

I do have a surf rack plus the z5 as if that matters now

between the swell and the ride we shoul have a decent variety altough I'm sure I'll want another by the end of summer. Seems like no one has just 1 board. Haven't heard much on the swell around here but it seemed to be a good skim style when I ordered.

Hey, I try.... sometimes

I'm sure you'll be happy with the Ride, congrats on the new board
    Be sure to post up some pics after next weekend
    2005 Supra Launch 22ssv - yellow/black

Quote Originally Posted by ScottnAz View Post
    The Broadcast is a good board to have around, I'm sure it will work out well for you and your crew. Why'd you choose the 4.9 instead of 5.6?
    There was no real reason, that comes from my preference for shorter Snowboards, but as longer as i'm thinking about it was maybe not my best decision.

Quote Originally Posted by OneCent View Post
    There was no real reason, that comes from my preference for shorter Snowboards, but as longer as i'm thinking about it was maybe not my best decision.
    I, too, like the shorter boards. What's the weight range of the riders?
    I'm sure you guys will be fine with the 4.9, it may just take a little more time to get comfortable with the wave.