Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wakesurfing Rookie

I finally got to take our boat (06 21V) out for the first time since we purchased it. The water was at a warm 48 degrees so it was more to just get it out and test the ballast and everything else I need to learn. I did get one short wakeboard run in with a full suit, but that was all I could bare.

We emptied one rear ballast (650lbs) and kept the front about 3/4 full (1,100lbs when full) and had the three other bodies in the boat sit on the weighted rear side. I just wanted to see what kind of "wave" it would throw out. I set the PP at 10 mph. It did not seem too impressive. Should I be doing something different? Do you turn into the wake a little or keep the boat straight? We do not even have a wakesurf board yet, but I would like try and get this thing semi dialed in for when it warms up. Not sure how much surfing we will do, but I would imagine it would be a blast especially on blown out days.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    2006 Launch 21 V

Quote Originally Posted by scotthons View Post
    I finally got to take our boat (06 21V) out for the first time since we purchased it. The water was at a warm 48 degrees so it was more to just get it out and test the ballast and everything else I need to learn. I did get one short wakeboard run in with a full suit, but that was all I could bare.

We emptied one rear ballast (650lbs) and kept the front about 3/4 full (1,100lbs when full) and had the three other bodies in the boat sit on the weighted rear side. I just wanted to see what kind of "wave" it would throw out. I set the PP at 10 mph. It did not seem too impressive. Should I be doing something different? Do you turn into the wake a little or keep the boat straight? We do not even have a wakesurf board yet, but I would like try and get this thing semi dialed in for when it warms up. Not sure how much surfing we will do, but I would imagine it would be a blast especially on blown out days.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    you may not want that much weight in the bow if you don't have more in the stern. I'll fill my 1,100 lbs bow bag almost full and have close to 1800lbs in the back corner. If I were to have 650lbs I would probably use about 1/4 of the 1100lbs bow bag. You may want to look into a portable bag to throw on top of the 650 for surfing, it'll probably make a big difference. I have a 24 though, so someone may be able to chime in with better info for your specific boat.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

Any pictures of the wave? Sounds like you may need to speed up a little to clean up the wave. What did you have the wake plate set at? If you're looking to try-out the wave before adding or purchasing additional weight, here's what I would do;

Fill front bag 1/2 way (~500-600 lbs)
    Fill rear corner bag (650 lbs)
    People weight along surf side rear
    Wake plate all the way up
    Speed set to 10.7-11

That way should be surfable, but, once the bug hits you guys, pick up a 750 or 1100 lb fatsac and tsunami fill pump for the rear side/corner, then fill your front and surf side rear ballast, speed again @ 10.7-11, and wake plate @ 25-50%

Thanks for the suggestions! No, unfortunately I did not get any pictures of the wave. The plate was all the way up. I am sure I will end up getting another sac once we get into it some more.

I was very pleased with the wakeboard wake. Still some fine tuning to do with placement of bodies and dogs, but it was very clean. I ordered the "wakeboard prop" since we are running at 6,100 ft of elevation and it took forever to plane.
    2006 Launch 21 V

Wakeboard prop = great performance, you will love that prop (14.25x14), well worth the $$$.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

Cookeville, TN (between Center Hill and Dale Hollow)

I think ScottnAz hit the nail on the head. Just do what he said. I have a 2005 21v and last season ran approx 1050lbs in the rear surf side and maybe 400-500 lbs in the ski locker, wakeplate 3/4 - 100% up with speed of 11mph.

This season I'm going to try 1500 in the rear surf side, 650 in the ski locker and 400 in the bow (pushed to the surf side)....we'll see how that goes.

However, last years setup worked great.

Good luck.

yup I agree sink the rear more,

I had a 2006 Moomba out DD and it could through a big wake with lots of weight lol 500 rear factory and 2 400lbs beside engine and 4 60litre jugs of water around the boat, 7 people and it was big.. although my heavier buddies sometimes had issues with the wake being a bit soft,, same length as yours I think 20'8" but not as deep of a hull.

Some days I would ride at 9.2mph and it would get steeper, (some speedos are off a bit not sure about mine) but 11mph on the moomba it was too fast and the wave got smaller. most days it was set at 9.8mph

I will post my findings with my 06 22ssv and let ya know. most peeps ride around 10.5 to 11.5,, I also found the deeper the water the better up to 30feet then it doesnt matter, as well I cant remember but with curent and against curent/wind does make a differance as well. so keep playing around and you will love surfing,,, best part is it doesnt hurt when ya crash.... I ride a very small lake lol

boatn.JPG
    Last edited by JoHNI_T; 04-26-2010 at 05:28 PM.

moomba outback direct drive with nice wave

SHAWN 025 (Medium).jpg

Hey JoHNI - tell that guy to get off the cell phone !!

Scottie, let us know how the bow weight works out for your boat.
    I've always found forward bow weight to be counter productive on my boat, and have found it best to put more weight on top of the ski locker in the walk-through area to sink the belly of the boat instead of the bow. Your wave is going to be a monster, regardless, with all that weight.

I have been biting back my comments since my older boat doesn't get weighted the same as your newer 06 21V. But there are some general principles. Most people have some weight (250-400lbs) in the rear non-surfing side. This sinks the whole rear of the boat and makes the overall wave size bigger. Then sink your one corner as much as you can.

From there I evaluate the length of the pocket. If the pocket is washy after 10' back, or if your rider has to use 'the brakes' a lot to stay off of the swim platform, then it is time to add some weight to the bow. Personally I also get the bow weight pushed off to the surf side, touching the hull (I have two bow sacs plumbed for this purpose). I use 250-350lbs here, but some people use much more in the newer Supras with the deep deep vee.
    Last edited by 87SunSportMikeyD; 04-28-2010 at 11:36 AM.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey