Thread: Starter Issue

Default Starter Issue

It'll click on me and not turn over from time to time, including Friday. If I tap on the starter with a wrench it'll almost always turn over (for now). I want to get it fixed before events start to take place this summer and we go out alot more. I don't know if it's the solenoid or the starter, when I get back down to my boat I'm going to check the connections to make sure they're mated up tight. I rebuilt the starter on my old boat and it was cake, may end up doing that. Anybody know how to test whether it's the starter or the solenoid on these?
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

Quote Originally Posted by iwakeboard View Post
    It'll click on me and not turn over from time to time, including Friday. If I tap on the starter with a wrench it'll almost always turn over (for now). I want to get it fixed before events start to take place this summer and we go out alot more. I don't know if it's the solenoid or the starter, when I get back down to my boat I'm going to check the connections to make sure they're mated up tight. I rebuilt the starter on my old boat and it was cake, may end up doing that. Anybody know how to test whether it's the starter or the solenoid on these?
    It is the solenoid sticking if you can get it to break free with a tap from a wrench. If it was the starter, tapping on it would not do anything.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

You have a gear reduction, permanant magnet starter. Just replace, these are now so cheap to buy, not worth the time of rebuilding. Al

It could be the starter. If the starter has a flat spot it wont move unless you tap it to move it from the flat spot. take it to a rebuilder to have it tested.

Its more than likely the brushes. If you are not experienced with the inside of starters just replace it as Beast suggested.

We had the exact same problem with out starter. The solenoid would not engage. We just bought a new unit.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Thanks for the advice, any idea where to get a starter or the solenoid? I had a local guy tell me he thought the whole starter would be in the $300ish range, after shelling out alot of $$$ to fix my trailer I was hoping to avoid spending that much on replacing something I could repair myself.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

Less than $200 plus shipping. Al