Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boat US insurance question

Well i had some bad luck this weekend. A couple weeks ago I changed all of my fluids in my supra. After changing the fluids I ran the boat on the hose and rechecked the oil and everything looked good. I took the boat to the lake house this weekend and I put the boat in the water and cranked it up and was idling around to let it warm up and recheck all fluids. When checking the oil I noticed water in the oil. I immediately idled back to the dock as to not cause anymore damage that was already done. I pulled the boat back out and drained the oil and ran it on the hose again and I was still getting water in the oil. I then drained the oil once more and put fresh oil in and left it at that and didnt crank it again. I just didnt want to leave the oil with the water in the engine. The boat only has appox 225 hrs on it. It is the 5.7 tbi assault engine. I have had no issues in the past with it. I hope it is not to serious but I did notice on my insurance that I have a Freeze State - Ice and Freezing Endorsment. Does this mean my insurance will cover it if it comes down to freeze damage? I did winterize my boat and have never had a problem in the past. My boat stays under a shelter that is covered on the sides and the rear and also has a cover on the boat. I have never had a problem in the past but we had a long freezing streak here in north florida this year. Im hoping it is just a gasket and not a major engine problem. I dropped my boat off at lake area watwersports in melrose florida but am going to call around to some other dealers today. How does everyone like watersports of central florida?

I have BoatUS insurance the freeze coverage is a rider on top of the standard policy here in Indiana. Hopefully your insurance man took care of it for you. I doubt its a gasket you most likely cracked something. The weather this year has surprised a lot of boat owners especially in the south. Whenever you winterize you must fill the cooling system with antifreeze. Just draining it will not guarantee you are safe.

Default Michael

Thanks. I spoke with Boat US this morning and I do have the ice and freeze protection. Im glad they took care of me and put this on my policy. They said once the dealer determines what it is all they have to do is send me an estimate for repair with parts and labor break down and Boat US will authorize them to begin the work and I will just pay my 300.00 deductible.

THAT IS AMAZING!!! Great policy outback!! I have heard a few good things about lake area watersports, but just second hand online chat.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Default More Insurance questions....

Great questions...which leads me to my question. I looked at two policies last year one with Progressive and one with my homeowners insurer...Erie Insurance. In both cases, I was told that they would not insure my boat for sinking at the dock. I would have to prove that I hit something.

If it was tied up at the dock and something happend with a plug letting lose or packing going bad to the point that it sunk I am not covered. They said because the boat was over 20 years old they could not cover it for sinking unless it was due to hitting a submerged object.

Now that I am sinking a fair amount of money into the rebuild, I think I want to buy a better policy. I am currently paying only $145 per year for the policy but it is a very limited policy. Do you guys have any companies that may offer a better policy on an old boat. I like the idea of having an engine freeze rider. I know there are specialty insurances for cars like Haggerty's anything like that for boats?
    1984 Supra Rider

Holy crap my progressive policy is $350 a year! It does come with extra medical coverage, but no sinker coverage, no submerged impact coverage, no freeze coverage. Sounds like I'm getting ripped off! They said no one else would insure it because of the horsepower it was considered similar to a racing boat or power speed boat!
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Nuts to that, Mikey. I use skisafe through, GEICO and it cost me about the same as you. It came with all the things you listed, just so long as it can not be directly attributed to a maintenance issue. I am still debating switching to BoatUS, since I just did a quote and their coverage is better for the same price.

Don't ever believe anyone when you're told "no one will insure that". Everything can be insured.

Just curious -- Did you winterize your boat or just drain the block? It sounds like the head gasket probably blew (at the minimum.)
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Default winterize

I did winterize my engine. I drained the block, drained the manifolds, the exhaust and the intake and removed the impeller. I sprayed fogger in the engine and also removed the spark plugs and fogged the cylinders like i do every year. This is the first year that i had a problem. It is very rare here in florida bu we had about 7-10 days straight that it didnt get above freezing.

do you remove your block plugs completely or just open the petcocks?
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug