Unhappy Display and gauges not working

Went to start my 2008 24 launch SSV today and none of the dash displays or the perfect pass are coming on. The tach, speedometer and trim gauge are not working either. The boat started fine and all other accessories operate but for some reason the dash has no power. I couldnt seem to locate the fuses for the dash components. Anyone have any good ideas or have you had the same problem?? Thanks!

Default Gauges not working

I have a 1999 Comp and a couple of years ago there was water in the speedo pickup line that over the winter froze and destroyed the computer that controls the gauges. The boat would still start and run fine since this control is for gauges only. If your boat was stored in an area that freezing could have occured I would look at this. Even if it didn't freeze water may have come through the speedo pickup and into the computer damaging the unit. For me none of the gauges worked including speedo's, temp, tach, volt ect. I had to order a new Medallion computer module that controls all the gauge functions. In my case the gauges are all multiplexed which means even if you mix up the connections to the gauges they will still function properly. I also make a point to take an air compressor and blow out the speedo pickup lines periodically to remove any weed or sludge debris from the lines to prevent water from settling in the lines. This removal of sludge also allows the speedo's to react more quickly to change in speed. Let me know if this works.

Quote Originally Posted by phop View Post
    Went to start my 2008 24 launch SSV today and none of the dash displays or the perfect pass are coming on. The tach, speedometer and trim gauge are not working either. The boat started fine and all other accessories operate but for some reason the dash has no power. I couldnt seem to locate the fuses for the dash components. Anyone have any good ideas or have you had the same problem?? Thanks!

I had an issue with the blower on my 24SSV and my tech who was playing around underneath the dash found a connection that was just barely hanging in place. He said that if it would have disconnected while on the lake I would have lost all of my instrumentation and perfect pass, so maybe it's the same thing? I wish I knew more specifically where to look for this connection at but he said it was something like an inch and a half wide white plastic connector that just had to be pushed back into place.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

Dont freak out too much...thats gotta be just a blown fuse. check your fuse panel (probably under your steering wheel black box to the left.)
    2002 Launch 22' SSV
    5.7 Indmar Assault

"wetter is better!"

Thanks for the info, Im gonna do some more investigating today.

Phop

Check for a common ground wire as well. Possibly it is loose.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

i have a main breaker beside my ballast breaker in the passenger compartment....could be that one.
    Last edited by docdrs; 05-21-2010 at 10:13 AM.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Yeah it really sounds like a loose ground. Let us know what you find out.

Default Still not working

Well I've tried everything I can think of, all connections are tight, all fuses and breakers appear to be be in order. As I mentioned before, the boat starts fine, but if I try to accelerate it acts as if the perfect pass is trying to take over, it will surge forward then slow down. It keeps a steady speed up to about 20 mph (Im guessing because the gauges are not working) then gets real erratic. Im getting frustrated because I've only got 75 hrs and ther are no dealers around me!!

Default problem solved

Apparently the connection behind the dash at the ignition was loose, somehow this caused no power to go to the dash components. Thankfully it was an easy fix!