Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Replacing Interior Speakers

We recently had our interior speakers stolen out of our 2008 Supra 21V launch... so now I am looking to buy new ones to replace them.

First of all, this is a stupid question, but what size speakers were in the boat to begin with? Secondly, does anyone have recommendations as to what I should replace them with? I would probably be looking to put fairly good quality ones in. Lastly, if I do replace them should I be considering buying a second battery? I don't know if better speakers would drain a single battery too much.

Thanks!!

The stock speakers are 6.5's.

Wet Sounds has a speaker that will drop in and make a huge difference in sound. The SS-65 retails for about $149/pair but if you have a local dealer you may get them cheaper.

Speakers are not the thing that drains batteries. Amps take battery power, so if you upgrade amps, then it's possible that you'll need a new battery. It all depends on how you play the stereo. Is it on all the time? How many hours of the day does the stereo play when the boat isn't running?
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

The stereo is probably on for a few hours without the boat running every time I take it out. I am normally pretty good about driving it around in circles periodically when I do that, but I am still worried about it because I do have a big amp and tour speakers. Should I have two batteries with all that?

Thanks for the advice on speakers!

I was just looking at Infinity 612M speakers, so you have any opinion on them?

Stick with Wet Sounds.
    -----------------------

2004 Supra Launch SS

Acme 913 prop, WS 420, Kicker L5 sub, JL/Kicker amps, Kicker in boats, Polk mm in roswell bar, 3000# ballast.

"Never underestimate a man that Overestimates himself."

I would agree with JonyB & Chad, Go with the wetsounds, You will be amazed @ the sound quality..

They are a little more expensive, but I love my Exile cabin speakers. They sound amazing. I am sure the Wetsounds are good as also.
    2007 Moomba Mobius LSV with 4 Exile XM-7s, 2-s400, 1-xi800, 1-xi1500 amps. Cabin speakers- 6 Exile XT65s, Sub - Exile Big12. 2 Stinger batteries, and a few other goodies

Quote Originally Posted by 8rl16 View Post
    The stereo is probably on for a few hours without the boat running every time I take it out. I am normally pretty good about driving it around in circles periodically when I do that, but I am still worried about it because I do have a big amp and tour speakers. Should I have two batteries with all that?

Thanks for the advice on speakers!
    Quote Originally Posted by 8rl16 View Post
    I was just looking at Infinity 612M speakers, so you have any opinion on them?
    If you don't want to be stranded with a dead battery, then yes, you need 2 batteries.

I think the Infinity's are 2 ohm speakers. If they are, then you'll need an amp for them.
    My Install Gallery

I'm going to disagree with some of this thread.... WetSounds are GREAT speakers but I still can't justify the price for their in-boat speakers. You'd be so much better off spending the money on powering a mediocre set of speakers than underpowering a great set of speakers. Kicker, Infinity, JL (and a host of other, smaller brands) all make great speakers. Just make sure you don't buy anything with paper cones -- unless you're using these in a salt-water environment, you'll never have a problem. I think Marine specific speakers are a big scam.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Something you need to take into consideration wotan, the only prices you've seen for the Wet Sounds speakers is the MSRP. I don't know about other dealers, but I don't sell anything for MSRP. The speakers are marked at that, but I always drop a few dollars to make the customer feel like he's getting a good deal. The SS-65's RETAIL for $159/pair. Even at that price, that's cheaper then the JL, and Kicker, in the marine speaker, unless you're buying them from the online chopshops, but you won't find WS product in those sweatshops, only at AUTHORIZED dealers. Dealers that sell you a speaker that will work with your system. Lots of people go out and buy the Infinity speakers, put them in, then wonder why the radio shuts off when they turn it up. Since they chose their own speaker they didn't have a clue that the impedance of those speakers is 2 ohm, and must be powered by an amplifier.

Marine specific is not a big scam. I've got several speakers and amps screwed to the wall in my shop showing what happens to non-marine grade amps and speakers when they get wet. If you have a local dealer, I'm sure they'd be happy to explain the differences to you, if you care to listen.
    My Install Gallery