Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm not hating and would love to hear how/why I'm wrong (and accept that it's a real possibility!) Feel free to post up some pictures/information on how/why non-marine grade speakers are better. I do expect more than just some marketing buzzwords about "rubber coated spiders" and "resin coated baskets."

I have no doubt that marine grade amps are much, much, much more water resistant than their regular 12v counterparts. Even so, I would never mount an amp anywhere close to where there was even a passing chance of it getting splashed/wet. I'm probably harder on gear than most and I've never had a problem with a non-marine 12v amp in 10 years.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Bullet Hollowpoints 6.5 is also a drop in that sounds great. I'd put it up against the Wetsouind any day and i, personally, like the look more.

If money is an issue, though, just go with the Polk db series. They have gotten great reviews and seem to be the in-boat go to. No they arent the loudest speaker but its an upgrade from the stock, cost is somewhere in the $50 per pair range, and for in boats it would be plenty loud. Just my opinion.

If you are going to buy one of the high end speakers (wetsound, bullet, exile) then you have to have an amp running them or its pointless.

Default opinion on Stereo System

OK, I see some speaker talk and I am not an expert but love music. So here is what I was thinking. I have a 06 24ssv with the stock kenwood system. Amp sub with interior speakers and tower speakers. I was thinking this.
    In this order will my sound improve if I go either partial or all the way.

1. replace interior speakers
    2. replace stereo. I am wanting a Ipod jack
    3 replace amp
    4. replace sub
    5. replace tower speakers ( I still like the look and size. I have speaker sox on )

Thanks for the input

I have the same boat. Do you have the roswell towers?

This is the order i would work in ...

1. Tower speakers. This will also require 1 or 2 amps depending on how big you want to go. They make 6.5" direct drop in for the roswell speaker/light. HLCD or coaxial.

2. Sub. The excelon they put in the boat is a pretty good sub and DVC i think. Biggest thing here is a box and proper amp. You can have a dedicated amp or use a multichannel in line with the in boats.

3. In boat. Biggest thing here is doing the wiring properly as SC f'ed this all up.

4. I didnt bother replacing my head unit. That kenwood head unit has an aux input that you can buy the dataport for apple or run rca to plug into a headphone jack.

Purchase amps in line with the speakers so you can match up wattages.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Griswold View Post
    OK, I see some speaker talk and I am not an expert but love music. So here is what I was thinking. I have a 06 24ssv with the stock kenwood system. Amp sub with interior speakers and tower speakers. I was thinking this.
    In this order will my sound improve if I go either partial or all the way.

1. replace interior speakers
    2. replace stereo. I am wanting a Ipod jack
    3 replace amp
    4. replace sub
    5. replace tower speakers ( I still like the look and size. I have speaker sox on )

Thanks for the input
    What's your budget?

1. Good idea, they're paper-coned junk.
    2. You can get the ip-500 to add ipod, and it controls the ipod through the wired remotes, and also charges the ipod.
    3. Good idea.
    4. It's junk, good idea.
    5. You can replace the existing junk $10 paper-coned speakers with the Wet Sounds XS-650's or SS-65's. The 65's should drop right in, cans may need to be trimmed out a little with the XS-650's. It also depends on what you're doing for power. The 65's are more efficient then the 650's, so they'll need less power.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

thanks for the responses. budget just got bigger. I can go 2,000 But I need to find someone in the northern Ky Cincinnati area to install. The system is bad, I will give you that.

Anyone have any installers in these area's let me know. The boat is at Lake Cumberland, KY

Are you wanting to keep the roswell lightbar?

Cans will set you back more money taking away from other.places but a 7.7 would sound better.than a 6.5.

Id start.with.that.decision.because.the.towers.are what's.gonna cost.

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Are you wanting to keep the roswell lightbar?

Cans will set you back more money taking away from other.places but a 7.7 would sound better.than a 6.5.

Id start.with.that.decision.because.the.towers.are what's.gonna cost.
    And 7.7's alone are more expensive then a replacement can and standard speaker.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by jonyb View Post

Marine specific is not a big scam. I've got several speakers and amps screwed to the wall in my shop showing what happens to non-marine grade amps and speakers when they get wet. If you have a local dealer, I'm sure they'd be happy to explain the differences to you, if you care to listen.
    I agree with JonyB. Everything in the boat should be marine rated. I went through three Diamond D7 amps, and one eclipse amp that were not marine rated. The diamonds did not even last two months. I now have Memphis marine amps, and they get wet all the time and keep on playing. I also have upgraded the cheesy kenwood speakers to some marine rated speakers.
    2011 Malibu Wakesetter 247LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Griswold View Post
    Anyone have any installers in these area's let me know. The boat is at Lake Cumberland, KY
    Rusty, there is a guy that advertises in Jamestown near Welchs Marine. I'll get the name and number but I wont be down until next weekend.

But I'm guessing you're at the Somerset side of the lake since you're from Cinci.