Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Replacing Boat buddy

Just wondering if anyone has a simple replacement for the boat buddy. The launch at my lake is not a good match for this system. Thinking of adding an additional roller in front of the bunks to guide it up, but rather just get wid of the skuffing thing. I have a 2004 22ssv. Thanks for the help.

I am sure the boat buddy sounded like a great idea to someone but mine quit working after only a couple uses. I left it on the trailer but it is not functioanal.

By all means add rollers, especially to the unprotected cross bar at the front of the trailer. Don't make my mistake. I have to find out how to fix my boat after it hit the bar while putting it on the trailer at a very steep boat launch. An additional roller would have prevented the damage. I don't want to hijack your thread so if anyone has a suggestion on how to fix this damage please pm me.

http://www.boatmateparts.com/product...-55-1208BR.htm

This is the direct replacement for the boat buddy... I changed out mine and have nothad an issue launching since...
    I would advice you get rear tie down straps... Boat will slide back while trailering...

Thanks for the help guys, got my boat wrapped and have no interest in scrubbing the front off. Autoban.. that hit looks brudal! I'd be laying on the ground crying.. Hope it's all fixed up!

I just installed the same thing that matt has. I had to grind off a chunk of metal that i am pretty sure the previous owner installed but it works wonderfully. I'd give that a shot.

I went to the same roller that Matt posted. Much better idea IMO. Ramp angle does have a lot to do with loading, but I can launch/load on any grade now and not have a problem or have to have the driver of the truck move back and forth 5 or 6 times.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

For those of you that replaced it, are you using a safety chain now as a backup in case your strap breaks, or just using the strap/winch??
    2008 Sunsport 22 V

Jay, I had my boat buddy replaced with a roller and had the bow stop lowered 2" as well, to help with loading problems. I don't use a safety chain, I just use the winch and the two rear tie-downs.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

I also had my trailer modified to help out with loading. I use the strap, but when I get it ready to travel on the road I also use a plastic-coated cable and a padlock, along with the Boat Buckle's on the rear. I'm big on safety when towing.

I also remove the Wet Sounds speakers from the tower, pull the fabric off the Z-5 rack, put all wakeboards in the ballast lockers, and the surfboard in the center ballast locker. I absolutely hate seeing people tow their boat with boards on the racks, whether their swiveled in or not.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

I agree with the safety. When I had the boat buddy I used it, the winch, and also had a safety chain. I replaced mine with a roller from boat mate and now I used the winch and the safety chain, in addition to the transom tie downs of course.
    2005 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Semper Fidelis