Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Excellent! Great news. Go get it wet!

My wife is home now, and she's doing real good. Things look good for our trip later in the month. I just need to get my boat to make sure its ready to go to. I've had a loose transom drain tube for a while that I decided it was time to fix. A new drain plug assembley is on order, but not scheduled to arrive on the 14th (errhh. I will do the fiberglass hole fill repair this weekend. With any luck I'll through it in the water this weekend without the new drain hole drilled. I can drill it and install the new plug assembly later.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

I believe I am encountering a problem similar to yours. When i turn the key the start makes a noise but it doesnt sound like the flywheel is engaging or somthing. Is this the problem you had or did you not get anything when you turned the key?

The starter requires a second device called a Bendix drive to "throw" the starters drive gear out to engage the flywheel. If the Bendix isn't functioning correctly, it will not move the starter gear far enough, or not at all, with a result much like you describe. The Bendix drive is not expensive, nor hard to replace, Your local NAPA will have them. Our starters are comparable to a 1972 Ford F-150 pick up truck. Take your starter with the Bendix still attached with you so that the parts guy can look at the part numbers.

Once your starter is off the boat, you could connect it to a battery to activate it, and watch to see what the Bendix does. If you don't see the gear extend all the way on the shaft, it is not working right.
    Last edited by rludtke; 07-10-2010 at 12:12 AM.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

I would say that Rick is right on given what you've said. Are you turning the key and the starter just spins? Or are you getting a clicking sound? You can get the starter checked at just about any auto parts store or auto electric rebuilder. You could test it like above by just attaching jumper cables and see what happens...What year is your comp? If I remember I'll post some pics of my 89.

Next project is to figure out why I'm getting so much engine noise through the stereo speakers, figure I'll start with replacing the ground connections from the stereo and amp. And after that, I work on rebuilding the wooden framework for the back seat.
    By the way, the water test went great yesterday, left work early and got out on the river and she ran great and even restarted after shutting it off. I didn't even worry about it. Would have gone skiing if I could have fit my fat feet into the bindings, got an old ski from an uncle that I thought I would try out and just couldn't get enough lube on my rear foot to make it work...but the kids had a blast tubing.
    Greg
    1989 Supra Comp TS6M

Hello. I’m trying to view the diagram that you attached as I’m having some problems with my boat. Could you possibly link that diagram again or email it to me?