Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 21V owners; Weighting your boat

I'd like to hear from some 21V owners on how they've weighted their boats. I figure instead of me trying a bunch of different things, it's probably already been done and a great wake has been found. I have a 2008 21V with 1450 lbs stock ballast and the wakeplate.

1. What configurations have you found that work out the best for wakeboarding?
    2. What configurations have you found that work out the best for wakesurfing?

*Note: Upgrading the stock bags is not an option right now. That is something I'll look to do next year. Right now, I have to work with the two 400 lb. bags in the rear lockers and the 650 lb. bag under the playpen along with the wakeplate. I'm sure that we can get what we need for now with that.

Next year I'd like to upgrade to the 750's for the rear lockers and perhaps the 900 lb. bag for the playpen.

So, let me know how you've done it. I just got my boat and would like to hear from others on how they've successfully weighted their 21v's.

Thanks,

Justin

right now you can stack or seat the 2 400s on one side for surfing buy some connectors and hose and you can fill the second from the opposite side still and empty for surfing....as far as wakeboarding I think the wake is pretty darn good at 19mph with out any ballast unless your an inter to pro level imo..... otherwise the 1100lb fit in the lockers quite nice when you upgrade, don't bother with the 750's
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Cookeville, TN (between Center Hill and Dale Hollow)

Def think the stock bags are fine for boarding. I agree with Doc on the 1100 lb sacs. They give you the maximum amt of wt for the space.

I would strongly consider buying two v-drive sacs (400lbs each) and a tsunami pump now and do the 1100's next year. That should cost around $270 and would give you alot for your surfing needs.

I run 1100 in the starboard rear locker, 400 on the starboard floor, 400 on the starboard seat, 650 ski locker and wakeplate 3/4 up.

Good luck and congrats on your boat.

^^ Scottie's set-up for surfing.
    2007 Moomba Mobius LSV with 4 Exile XM-7s, 2-s400, 1-xi800, 1-xi1500 amps. Cabin speakers- 6 Exile XT65s, Sub - Exile Big12. 2 Stinger batteries, and a few other goodies

I know upgrade is not an option yet, but what many people do is pull the stock front bag and put it in one of the back lockers. Buy another 650 and put it in the other rear locker. These rear bags are the best for the 21V cause it is already a bit ass heavy and these ones will go up under the seat a bit and move a bit more weight towards the center of the boat. Then you will want to get the gravity 1100 lb bag that everyone mentioned.
    The 1100 gravity bag is the most important upgrade if you could only do one thing. If you want to simulate that and not spend money this year you should just go and grab 400 lbs of lead or something and it will tuck nicely under your existing locker bag. Make sure you water proof it all though...

We haven't dialed in the surfing configuration yet. Setting up your boat for surfing is an art. There's a lot of variables and we're just getting into it, but for boarding I think the stock setup works very well. I have a '06 21V with the 340hp and wake board prop. Last weekend we filled all tanks and had 10 people on the boat. We used the guy that weighed 280 to adjust the wake wash.

With that much weight the wake was huge, but the performance of the boat was a little sluggish, but that's to be expected. We run at 23mph for my son and about 18 for the beginners. We normally run the plate at 3/4 to push the bow a little deeper.

If you're learning to board you don't even need to fill the bags. Crossing the wake (wall of water) scares the hell out of beginners and they won't want to cross the wake thus extending the learning curve. Only add the weight when you want to begin working on jumps, flips and rolls! Just remember...drive it like you stole it and go big, or go home! Have fun!!!

Scott
    2006 Supra Launch 21V

I also have the '06 21V and have the setup that Diggs mentioned. 650lbs in the rear lockers and 1100 in the playpen. I ride at 24.5 mph with the plate at 3/4 or 1/2 at 75 feet off and the wake is awesome. I do move people around in the boat to try and make sure the wake is clean.

This set up is not very good for surfing though. You are going to have a blast and getting it dialed in is part of the fun!
    2006 Launch 21 V

Quote Originally Posted by SZEH View Post
    Just remember...drive it like you stole it and go big, or go home! Have fun!!!

Scott

Man i love that quote!!!!!
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have stated that I wasn't a beginner but an intermediate rider. I didn't know they made an 1,100 lb. bag for the playpen ski locker, I thought it was a 900 lb. bag. That is insane! This past weekend we only had 4 people in the boat with the stock ballast filled and wakeplate at 50% so I imagine that with a few more people the wake will be really nice. That surfing configuration that Scott stated is wicked, don't all those bags annoy you being around inside the boat?

Appreciate the feedback everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cigars n scotch View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have stated that I wasn't a beginner but an intermediate rider. I didn't know they made an 1,100 lb. bag for the playpen ski locker, I thought it was a 900 lb. bag. That is insane! This past weekend we only had 4 people in the boat with the stock ballast filled and wakeplate at 50% so I imagine that with a few more people the wake will be really nice. That surfing configuration that Scott stated is wicked, don't all those bags annoy you being around inside the boat?

Appreciate the feedback everyone.
    THE 1100lb bags are for the rear lockers, they fill to about 900-1000lbs
    $189 each an$10bucks in hose and you are set up like factory. you can buy one and put the 400's together on the other side best $200 u will ever spend.

I am running almost the exact same set up as ssmith but i leave 200-300lbs on the non surf side so with 2 peeps in the boat the wake is great and we take out the bag on the floor with more people. surf 'n at 10.7mp/h- 11mp/h

wakeboarding fill all your stock bags and go,, loose some weight if the wake is too big. plate 3/4 I ride at 22.2mp/h-23.5mp/h the ladies and newbies around 18mp/h

p.s. my gf said the same about the bags being annoying lol, she said i thought you bought the 1100bags so we dont need theese extra bags on the floor. I said lets surf!!!!