Default PCM 1:23:1 tranny oil AGAIN

I ended up changing my tranny oil with Dexron 6. It said meets or exceeds Dex 3 so I figured what the heck. A friend of mine has a 92 Nautique with the same tranny and he was recommended Dex/Merc and told me to get the dex 6 out of there ASAP.

What do you guys think?
    1989 Supra SunSport | ACME 480 Prop. | 13th Floor Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Memmer99 View Post
    I ended up changing my tranny oil with Dexron 6. It said meets or exceeds Dex 3 so I figured what the heck. A friend of mine has a 92 Nautique with the same tranny and he was recommended Dex/Merc and told me to get the dex 6 out of there ASAP.

What do you guys think?
    I'm not an expert by no means but I did mine 2 weeks ago and used the Vavoline Dex/Merc. The parts guy said it is what you want if it calls for Dexron. I asked him if I could use the Dexron 6 and he said no way? Just a heads up.

Shoot, thats what I was afraid of. I've already put about 15 hours on it with the Dexron 6. Hope I can change it a few time and it will be okay.

yes you can use dexron VI.....GM wants it used on all tranny's that previously used dexron III. It is far superior to dexron III and any warranty work performed on gm trannys that don't use dexron VI will be voided. there is a TSB from GM on this that many don't know about

dexron VI is supposed to be new and improved dexron III. GM TSB states that current and prior automatic transmission models that had used DEXRON III must now only use DEXRON VI
    oil film thickness increased by 20%
    foam /aeration improved 150%
    shear stability improved 200 %
    fluid oxidation improved 100%
    Last edited by docdrs; 06-28-2010 at 06:38 PM.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Memmer99 View Post
    Shoot, thats what I was afraid of. I've already put about 15 hours on it with the Dexron 6. Hope I can change it a few time and it will be okay.
    Memmer I did some searches and if you have the velvet drive you can pretty much run anything in lol, they seem to be really tough. I wouldnt sweat the dexron 6. I was gonna use it but the parts clown told me to use Dex/Merc. I havent had any problems.

I have the direct dirve PCM mounted to a Ford/PCM 351.Anyone else use Dexron 6 with no issues?

When the PCM tranny first was introduced, the oil was 10wt only. Since it was a little hard to locate 10wt in some areas of the country, the fluid was changed to ATF. Of course this was 25 years ago. Wow I didn't realize how old I am now. Geez Al

Quote Originally Posted by beast 496 View Post
    When the PCM tranny first was introduced, the oil was 10wt only. Since it was a little hard to locate 10wt in some areas of the country, the fluid was changed to ATF. Of course this was 25 years ago. Wow I didn't realize how old I am now. Geez Al
    Al's right, these gearboxes all used 10 w mineral oil originally. The modern automatic transmission fluids are based on the 10 w mineral oil, but include additives catering to the needs of modern automatic transmissions. The additives may or may not be adding any benefit to our purpose, but the base mineral oil is.

If someone wanted a pure 10w mineral oil, look for mil-spec 5606 oil. It's common in aviation the industry. 10w oil with red dye.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4