Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default rear compartment doors..

Ok,
    I'm sure im not the only one on here that has had this problem.
    After many uses of opening and closing the rear compartment doors the screws have ripped out of the doors. (where the hydraulic shocks are mounted) I moved the shocks over and re screwed in a new location. Once agian they have ripped off. any help on how to sturdy this area im screwing into...or certain screws or just hell any advice! im tearing up the back of the compartments. (im talking about under the sun deck on my 02 22' SSV)

thanks in advance!
    2002 Launch 22' SSV
    5.7 Indmar Assault

"wetter is better!"

Kody, my recommendation.... dont use screws, use a bolt/washer/locking vinyl nut combo and you wont have this problem. The washers will also a little strength to the area. I had SC replace my "screws" with this combo for my walk thru platform because they kept coming loose. Screwing into fiberglass should be avoided when possible, it will eventually come loose or break.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

ya but how do i get a bolt and nut on that door? i mean one side you have the wood or some other kinda compressed wood looking material and on top you have the sun deck's vinyl?
    2002 Launch 22' SSV
    5.7 Indmar Assault

"wetter is better!"

Travis he's talking about the interior pieces, and doesn't have access to behind that area.

Just another crappy design, that's all. It's just a matter of time before all of mine quit. Then what?
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

What about backing them out then using a wood glue or Gorilla glue to keep them from turning/moving? Are they stripping from repeatedly having to retighten them, or just from the force of opening the doors? If it is from them vibrating loose and then retightening I would try the Gorilla Glue. Just a thought...
    2008 Sunsport 22 V

Quote Originally Posted by jaywidhalm View Post
    What about backing them out then using a wood glue or Gorilla glue to keep them from turning/moving? Are they stripping from repeatedly having to retighten them, or just from the force of opening the doors? If it is from them vibrating loose and then retightening I would try the Gorilla Glue. Just a thought...
    Maybe that would work, I don't know.

What's happening is that the screws are self-tapping screws, so when there's force put on them, the hole they're in are "wollered" out, if you know what I mean. All folding panels in my boat have those. I've replaced all the ones in the rear with stainless nuts/washers/bolts, and it's much more sturdier. Why can't they just spend the extra time to do that right the first time at the factory?
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

ya! the screws are just ripping out of the material!! i moved the locations over 3" and after this weekend trip...they ripped out agian. the underside of my sun deck doors look horrible now. i can put in nuts and bolts cause i dont want to mess with taking off the vinyl or having the hardware cut threw the vinyl.....this is the crappiest design ever..if anyone has any suggestions that they have done...please help a brotha out! for now ive just taken off the pressureized arms that hold up the storage compartment doors. UGH!!!
    2002 Launch 22' SSV
    5.7 Indmar Assault

"wetter is better!"

Maybe glue and screw a aluminum plate to the hatch bottom then attach shock arm to that. Will spread out stress points and cover old holes. It will also be held by glue and screws, much more strength. Could even paint it or polish it.

They make plastic anchors that you put in the hole and when you screw into them they flair out inside and will keep them from pulling out. I'm pretty sure you can find them for #10 and # 12 screws

Default Screw and rear hatch

July 24 was the day I saw my screws come out on my rear hatch. You are correct. Very bad design. I am starting to really question my purchase of my boat. The first Supra Launch 24V I got had a wiring problem. I invoked the lemon law after three times and got a completely new boat. This boat I've had for two seasons and have had problems with the wake/trim plate lever working and now it works but the wake / trim plate doesn't stay in the position I put it in. Now the screws are coming out. Seems this is like Microsoft and we are the testers of software we have to buy. Screws in fiberglass?? Wow. I'd love to hear if there are more Launch owners with the screws coming out problem.

James