Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Boating at night

I was hoping some of you experienced guys could give me a few pointers on safety tips and requirements for night boating. My biggest concern is hitting something due to poor visibility.

I've been researching it here and online, but there's not much advice other than "GO SLOW".

What kind of lighting would you guys recommend other than the red/green nav lights and the stern light? What kind of extra precautions do ya'll take when out after dark, and what extra supplies would be needed. There's just been a few times I didn't want to pack up and leave by 8 PM. I wouldn't want to camp all night, but stay a few hours after dark.

Agree with the 3 million candle- Wal mart has them for 20bucks. Also agree about the trailer lights submerged- pretty cool to run it over. I found these battery powered glow sticks that mount on the trailer guides, kinda like docking guide lights- also help as backing guides. Bug spray, maybe a head lamp is about all i can add.

I boated last night for the first time with this boat. A little off subject. But I noticed that 1 speedo gauge light. And oil pressure gauge light were out. Can the lights be replaced? Or do they have to be replaced?
    Chauncey 2000 Malibu Response LX Monsoon 325

Guess I should have looked in the service and repair section. Theres a new thread on gauge bulbs. So I guess they can be replaced.
    Chauncey 2000 Malibu Response LX Monsoon 325

Thanks for the info guys. Its exactly what I what I was looking for.

As far as I know the law says no wake zone everywhere at night. Many people ignore this. Many fisherman also like to turn out their lights at night and turn them back on if anyone drives close to them. IMO these are the biggest risks. It's a great time. I spend most if it floating or anchored.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Know the lake before you go out. I know the area pretty well that we go to during the night. Tools are always a good idea. I spent the night on the boat with my wife when she was pregnant. It wasn't the greatest experience and i still hear about it.

Spotlight is cheap and easy. They are really good to keep and eye on shorelines. As for driving across the lake, just use the nav lights. If the moon is out it should be enough light to drive.

DONT USE YOUR DOCKING LIGHTS. 1. it is illegal and 2. it is annoying. It doesnt help you see any better and its bothersome to others.

KG is correct with his comments. I also use a spot light and flash it every 20 seconds just to make sure. I know my lake really well and have never had any issues. You just need to worry about the other boats if there lights are working. Just take it slow and keep your eye out and listen for other boats. I keep my stereo off so I can here other boats.

I boat at night time almost every month, several times out boarding till dark and then other times we try and hit the water every full moon weekend. YOU HAVE TO DO THIS!! Its so much fun. We go out and board till the sun goes down then we switch over to surfing and a little drinking. We will stay out till 12-1 or 2:am. You only do this on lakes you are familiar with and you stay in the deeper parts so if you make a mistake you dont hit a dock or something. I like surfing with tower lights off and red and greens on. That way you can enjoy the full moon shimmering off the water. After a while we just anchor up and swim listen to music and have fun. Its great. Jet

p.s. Mani, I would buy or diy you a light bar with forward and rear facing lights and put some leds in the tower for downlighting..its way cool.

anybody find any cheaper speaker rings yet??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

I do a lot of duck hunting and the waters we hunt can be down right treacherous. You really should know the water and the lay of the land/shore line and underwater surprises before you head out. Especially if you are planning to motor up on plane. The shore line comes up real quick if you don't know what you're doing. I like to travel a body of water several times in the day light before I head out at o'dark hundred. Get a GPS and mark your channels and major obstacles. Sometimes while hunting some of the best conditions for duck hunting is out in the fog. It's a requirement for me to have my GPS then. Best to be traveling off plane then...

When traveling at night the spot light is a requirement to me. As the driver I'll have my own in hand and one responsible user along with me aiding me with their own sometimes. Helps having an extra set of eyes with a light to point things out.

I was told the landing lights on in the bow of some boats are to be only turned on only when your landing the boat. Never under way. I don't know if it's true as I've never seen it spelled out in the rules.

Best to try it out on a body of water you know like the back of your hand first. See if you can handle it. Also, some of the lakes around by my home in SW WI are slow no wake lakes b/t Dusk and Dawn so going fast in those lake is a non issue.... But up in the UP of Michigan and where I boat in Upper-Lower Michigan you can go full speed ahead.