Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Jet, we go to the same lake, and judging by prior conversations, we hit the same area of the lake. I hardly ever leave Stewart's cove by Pier 121. I find no reason to go out to the big part of the lake. Too many speed boats and cruisers. I know Stewart's cove like the back of my hand. I just want to do what you're talking about, Jet. Hang out and have a good time at night.

Looks like I'm getting some lighting equipment when I come back from vacation next week. I don't drink, ever, while I'm on the lake. I don't trust any of my friends to drive and dock my boat yet, so I just stay DD. Been tossed by the game warden once, and those guys are not forgiving. Luckily I wasn't drinking then either.

One last thing, my nav lights boil down to just one red/green light on the bow, and a stern rod-light. This sound about right for an 86 SS?

That sounds about right all the way from a 86ss to a 2011 24gg. The lights you mentioned are the required on any vessel.

techsledder, yes the landing lights (docking lights) are illegal to use while underway. They are likely illegal bc they hurt others view and they do not help yours, they only allow you to see better right in front of the boat.

Yep..we have been using our car gps since July of last year when we went to a new lake and werent familiar with the lay out. It works great and you can follow your blue line back if Its at night. Yeah, mani Im always the designator driver to. Im not getting a DUI on the way home or wrecking my boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

Lots of solid advice here, the key word is caution though. I had an experience in my old boat at night, admittedly I was distracted by the current lady-occupant at the time while running down the lake. I noticed at the last moment that a navigation buoy was in front of me. I turned at the last minute but it still swiped my starboard bow rub rail, tearing up some fiberglass but moreso scaring us to death. I jumped immediately in the water to make sure there wasn't any hull breach below the waterline and there wasn't, it was relegated to the rubrail area thankfully. We idled back slow and ever since then I'm extremely cautious at night (and allow less distractions ).

I replaced the factory light on top of my tower with this directl LED replacement, it looks awesome and is extremely bright:

http://www.innovativelight.com/all-r...73_11562_4.cfm

The spotlight is a good idea, though I rarely use it I do have one that plugs right into the cigarette lighter power, just in case. I have 20/18 vision so barring some distraction I can see pretty well at night. I also keep a flashlight in the drawer under the driverseat. You may want to keep a jump-start kit incase you somehow kill your battery at night, it's alot harder to wave down someone at night to help you out than it is during the day. On my old boat I had fishermen say on more than one occasion, "I would help but we're in a big hurry." Helpful.

edit: Didn't see the second page, but another comment:

My iPhone has helped me more than once at night on Norris, which I'm not 100% familiar with. A GPS is a valuable tool to have on a lake you're unfamiliar with, solid investment.
    Last edited by iwakeboard; 07-13-2010 at 08:54 AM.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    One last thing, my nav lights boil down to just one red/green light on the bow, and a stern rod-light. This sound about right for an 86 SS?
    My 1990 SS has the front Nav (Red/Green) light, a mid-ship pole clear light mounted just in front of the window and a stern/transom clear light. see attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does the stern light come on when the nav lights are on? I'm pretty sure my stern light comes on when the accesory lights are on. I could be wrong, though.

To be legal you need the red/green on the front and a white light which is supposed to be at the highest point on the boat, or the most visible place.

Im going to have to check out that LED for the top. Is there a specific type of light that attracts less bugs, and would still be legal (white)? That would be nice.

On mine, yes the Stern light is supposed to be on when the "Nav" switch is on. When the "Anc" switch is on only the Pole light is supposed to turn on, reserved for when your on anchor in the water way.

Been out at night a lot and my best advise is to follow the moonlight and how it cast on the lake! Never had had a problem!

Yes Obie one..use the moonlight to your advantage.
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

I also stand and look over the windshield/bow. My eyes are always scanning the water surface for anything that is bobbing or unnatural on the surface. Most nights the water is glass which helps logs/etc stand out. The city lights of driving at night in Pittsburgh light up the water very nice.

I caution the use of the spotlight as little as possible as it does kill your night vision. On lakes, we have used it when driving by points/signs to verify where we were. Typically, I run the middle of the river. Or as far off shore on a lake as possible to make out the profile of the shoreline better.

I love riding at night better than the day. The water is glass. The stars are beautiful. Lots less traffic. Enjoy it and be safe.

As far as docking lights, I see why they aren't legal for driving. They don't really help you see but in front of the boat. (we use them for putting on the trailer). Watching the boat come in, you have white light, green/red, white light. We are trained that white is the back of the boat. So it would be extremely confusing approaching from the front as to what side you need to go on.

If you are putting it on a trailer at night, it is important to have the trailer straight behind the tow vehicle. I leave the lights on the tow vehicle and turn the bed light on in the middle of the truck. This gives the wife an aiming point for putting the bow.
    Last edited by jzelt; 07-15-2010 at 04:42 PM.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"