Default Gauges and Starting Problems

I just bought a 2001 SSV Launch and I'm having some problems. They all seem to be electrical or wiring related. Here's an example of what I've experienced in the last few weeks: My speedo works fine, or is reading 20mph high or not reading at all. Perfect pass doesn't read a speed until 30 minutes or longer on the water, then it's fast, slow, right on, slow, fast, etc. The longer I'm out the better it gets. Then the big one, after being on the water for a while sometimes the boat won't start. Turn key and gauges power up but turn to start and nothing. No sound, no click, nothing. 20 minutes later and after several attempts I'll get it started and come in. Try again at that time and nothing. Then a day or 2 later it will start repeatedly for awhile, then stop after being out on the water. I've been on friends boats for years and years but this is my first boat that I've actually owned. It could be the simpliest thing and I would not know. I have been chasing wires all weekend and have found some loose ends and alot of splices around the speedo and rpm gauges. anyone think I'm on the right track or have a suggestion?

Default 2001 Launch

I have a 2001 Launch (direct drive) and have had wiring problems as well. Speedo (Faria Electronic Gauges) problems appeared to be inadequate ground. Tach also read high periodically. Finally ran separate ground wire from speedos and tach to battery negative. Seemed to correct high/low readings, then had an actual speedo gauge failure and replaced with PerfectPass. No problems with that in 5 years and the best skiing I've had. Needed to replace the starter key switch as well. Accessories worked, but dead on starter mode.

Also, check your battery terminals and all cable connections at battery(s) and engine connection points. Any corrosion or looseness can cause the same problems. Disconnect and clean each connection before each summer. Retighten and coat with some battery terminal sealant.

The speedo problem sounds like your paddle-wheel might have a bad ground or loose wiring? I'd start on that side of things. Since it's perfect pass AND the gauge.... I'd think it would be the common item between them.

The starting issue could be related to heat (since it sounds like it's when the engine is warm that you have the problem?) Could be a bad starter solenoid (try to jump from the solenoid -> starter with a screwdriver next time you have this problem. http://www.ehow.com/how_5762451_jump...rewdriver.html) It could also be a neutral safety switch -- does the boat start if you jiggle the throttle back and forth a few times? The gear cable could be out of adjustment. If neither of those issues pan out, I think the starter switch is the next likely culprit. Good luck! Boat ownership can suck.... welcome to the club!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

A possibility for your irratic starting could be related to a safety kill switch. It should be right next to the drivers seat. It's a lot like a wave runner. If you pull the pin it will kill the engine. I hit a wave hard and the boat died. Turns out pulled a wire from that switch off and pinched another one. I would check your wires there and any off the connections. You'll have to pull the panel off to get at the back see if you have a wire making contact sometimes causing your start issues