Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Boatmate Trailer Modification Roller and Boat Buddy

I know there have been many questions on this issue. I have an 2008 24 SSV Gravity Games Edition boat. I have three different boat ramps in my neighborhood and all are extremely different in steepness. I replaced the boat buddy with the roller which has helped. I still would like to lower the roller by 1.5" to help with loading the boat. Does anybody that has done this modification have any pictures that would show what they did?

where did you get your roller? my 22ssv has the boat buddy on it to and i recently tried to replace it with a clear roller and bought a generic one and the insinde piece of the roller way to small. it was not a tight fit.?
    08 sunsport 22v power bass components down below, roswell light bar tower speaker combo chopped with 4 xm7s harpoon amp throttle box equipped. runway lights off axis.

Same here. Any one have any advice on this would be great. I also have a 24 and getting the thing on the trailer is a real hassel. I had a correct craft and that was real easy to get on.

I hate to say it, but if you are not hitting your boat buddy or roller, your trailer is too deep... Don't be scared to drive on your bunks. Dip them in the water and get them good and wet and drive on your bunks. If your boat is on the bunks it will hit the boat buddy or roller every time....

Steepness plays a definite role and on a steep ramp your trailer is pretty far out of the water and really have to goose it to get it on. It is tricky. The roller has helped alot but still am wanting to lower the roller about 1.5". I have talked with Jerry Jones at Boatmate and they have done this to alot of trailers it just helps and makes the loading easier. The part number for my trailer which I ordered through Boat mate is a Stoltz Roller part number 55-1202BR it was pretty cheap and only took about 5 minutes to replace. If you order through Boat Mate the form ask for the vin number of the trailer which they will make sure they send the right roller. You can go to boatmates website and pull it up and it will give you the price and I went ahead and ordered the starbrite tie downs for the trailer which are pretty sweet. You can shoot Jerry an e-mail at [email protected]. He is a great guy and responds very quick.

Do you have any pic's by chance of what you have done?

I had my bow-stop lowered 2" but I had it done at Boatmate! I think you'd have to cut it down and reweld it, if I'm not mistaken? More work than I'd personally want to take on. I think JonyB had his done at Boatmate too.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

I did it myself but unfortunately did not take any pics during the process. I was trying to get it done quick while the boat was off the trailer and sitting unattended at the ramps dock.

First I removed the boatbuddy and with a grinder and cutting wheel cut 2" off the top of the two metal plates on top the bow stop along with the rear corners. Then ground the edges down with a grinding wheel and re-drilled the holes for the roller axial. Then painted and installed the roller, all in less than 10 min. I bought the roller at Bass Pro. A rough drawing is below along with finished product.

The other thing I had to do was lower my winch because the handle hit the bow of the boat, but that's going to depend on your winch and its factory installed location, just keep that in mind.

Jerry at Boatmate offered to do the mod at no charge but it was easier for me to do it myself rather than drive 4 hours each way to drop it off and another 4 each way to pick it up.

Another reason I did the mod was the two front bunks, and 1/2 of the middle bunks, were 2" from touching the boat. So, all the weight from the front half of the boat was resting on the boatbuddy which destroyed it along with messing up the gelcoat below the bow. If you do the mod yourself just be aware of all your measurements so everything will fit correctly. Others trailers could have different dimensions, this is just what worked for mine...my disclaimer.

Hope this helps, Steve

It's amazing how much easier getting rid of the boatbuddy and lowering the bow stop made loading my boat. The bow eye will go right up to the roller and I just strap her in. Makes me less nervous, annoyed, and scared to load my boat, and certainly makes my wife feel 100% better not having to do anything
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

Steve, what ramp to you go out of, I think you are on cumberland correct. Who does some of your work around the lake area. I got my boat from Denny's Marine