Default learning to stitch marine vinyl. anyone done it?

I'm looking into learning to sew so that I can do my own interior this winter. Has anyone done it? There are stitching classes held locally here for cheap. I need 2 things..
    1. Anyone ever experienced it?
    2. Where could I buy the material at a reasonable cost and what thickness vinyl would I get. Are there any manufacturers to stay away from? Or any good experiences?

The other thing I would like to do is build a custom bimini. I feel like this would be a good skill to learn as well.

Honestly, I have been unemployed for over a year and with the grants and loans available to new small business's right now, I feel like it would be a good niche to get into. With the right equipment and some practice, I believe I could make a decent living doing this type of work. Most importantly I think it is something I would enjoy doing. What are your thoughts???

Great idea.

My first thought is to get to know the local material stores. You know the ones with all of the fabric bolts, dress patterns, and sewing machines? I know, I know, not very masculine sounding, but these stores often have sewing classes and seminars, and usually have service people who are very project oriented and like to help (I know this because I have three daughters...). They could council you on virtually every element of your boat interior, and on the right equipment. They probably sell vinyl and foam, or can order it. They could probably set you up with the right machine, either new or used. And I bet their classes would help get you started.

Let us know how it goes.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

I did the interior in my last boat. I got all my foam, vinyl, viscueen, ss staples, hidem and vinyl from Garys Upholstery. If you plan on doing it as a business you will want to contact vinyl companies at the source. I used a sixties model singer sewing machine, worked great. You have to use old singers or actual upholstery machine (used online) or older singer with a 4 or more amp motor or it wont have enough power to sew through vinyl. Make sure to use marine grade vinyl and marine grade thread (there is a big difference).

Default Classes... where do you live?

I just did a quick search on my local community colleges and several offer classes. For example.

I may be redoing a couple of components in my boat's upholstery someday myself. If I have the time I may just take a class...

I got an estimate from a local shop on the drivers seat on my old SS and it was expensive.