Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Snapped My Prop Shaft

Broke My prop shaft yesterday. We were cruising to our spot and it felt like the tranny went into nuetral. I ended up diving under the boat and noticed the prop was missing. Once we pulled the boat out of the water this is what we found.

We didn't hit anything, it just seemed to snap off. Luckily ther was no damage to the boat at all. Just a small scratch on the rudder.
    Does anyone know if the prop shaft wears out after time, It is 20+ years old.
    1989 Supra SunSport | ACME 480 Prop. | 13th Floor Tower

What the hell!! That is one of the craziest things I've ever seen. Did you have a SS prop or something on there? You must have hit something and it must have been fast+clean. I can't imagine anything else that would cause that. Call these guys and ask them what happened -- http://www.marineassociates.com/ -- they can also sell you a new prop-shaft.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

That's effed up right there. I've bent many a prop and even my drive shaft. I have a thread on how to change one a few pages in but it's for an 07 launch ssv which I'm sure is built differently. I've never seen anything like that. Looks almost like it was cut. The worst part is now your out a prop And a shaft which is costly. Plus if you don't undertake the repair and have to pay a dealer it's crazy expensive. Good luck because that sucks and I've been there. Mine was out two weeks. Had to order the parts and repair it myself

I would have to go out on a limb and say there had to have been a defect in that shaft. That's a solid stainless steel shaft and should have never broke like that. That is just wrong!!!!!!

Do you have insurance?

I would agree that maybe you hit something and just didn't realize it or there could have been a defect in the shaft.

Yeah I'm a little upset about it to tell you the truth. I'm looking at 400 bucks for the damn shaft and another 350 to 400 for another prop. What really sucks is that was a fairly new Acme prop. I've only had it out about 10 times. I just feel very lucky there is no rudder or Fiberglass damage. Can you imagine if some one was surfing when it broke.......

Okie, I have insurance but I'm not too sure if it will be worth it to call it in. I need to check my coverage. I can do all the work myself and maybe take it in to be aligned. I need to find a shaft cheaper than 400 bucks. Thats just seems outragous.

Any chance you have a buddy with scuba experience? If you know where it happened and it is not too deep, you paying for the tanks could get your prop back. Not saying it will be in great shape, but a repair vs all new is quite a difference. Depending on the conditions it could be worth it. Several years ago we had a guy loose his glasses off the back of a houseboat. Several of the others were already going to scuba somewhere so he bought them an extra tank to help him look in 30 foot of water. Took them 30 min but a guy found them.
    2005 22 SSV GG

It has been cracked for quite awhile, Check out the rust, I would suggest the shaft was also bent. No defect seen in any of the photos. Al

Quote Originally Posted by beast 496 View Post
    It has been cracked for quite awhile, Check out the rust, I would suggest the shaft was also bent. No defect seen in any of the photos. Al
    I agree, I suspect the shaft was fractured for some time before the separation event. Have you had any propstrike history in the past?
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

The prop fell off in the Delta. For anyone who has never been there the water is so dark that calf deep you can't see your toes. We call it the dirty D but it's some of the best boarding in California. Miles and Miles of channels some of them are even 1 way. Fman should know what I'm talking about.

Anyone know if JT Nettle sells prop shafts? I'll give him a call tomorrow. If anyone knows where I can get one cheaper than $380 please let me know. A friend of mine is going to let me borrow an old prop but if I can't find a decent price on a shaft my season may be over. Thanks guys!!
    Last edited by Memmer99; 07-19-2010 at 10:36 PM.