Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help me buy my first Supra? (87 Saltare)

Hey everyone-I need some help. I have some pics of a 87 Saltare sent to me by the seller and would love some feed back. Unfortunately, to purchase I will have to drive quite some distance to pick it up and have only pics to base my initial decision on. I have scoured this forum and found some great info, however, I would appreciate any experience/advice from these pics.(I'm kinda concerned about the transom/exhaust area and motor rust- supposedly a total fresh water boat??)

Let me know if you would like to see different photos. Also, it has a 454 PCM w/ 1100 hrs...should that freak me out? Thanks in advance, Elvis.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I see nothing to be overly concerned about on first look...but these decisions are usually based on price.

The only thing I'd check VERY carefully would be floor/stringer integrity. Check the motor mounts to make sure that they are still solid. Prior to 1992 there will be wood stringers, which is fine if they are still solid and that you accept the fact that one day, who knows when, they will most likely need to be redone. The job is either somewhat costly, or very time consuming if you do it yourself.

You may want to do yourself a favour and pay an independent marine inspector to do an inspection for you...

Those anodes added to the prop shaft and cavitation plate are not stock. What state is the boat located?

No pics of the interior or the rest of the hull? You need as much detail as possible before making the trip. Would you mind letting us know the asking price? Ask him to describe the condition of the boat in text. Personally, I look for an original interior in great condition. Anything else means it MAY have been left in the sun and/or rain uncovered. With wood stringers this is a big no-no.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

The boat is in CA and he is asking $8k. I have a ton of interior pics and will post in a bit. Interior looks great to me-all original I'm pretty sure. Thanks for the help all!

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Those anodes added to the prop shaft and cavitation plate are not stock. What state is the boat located?
    Ditto! I haven't seen a "fresh water only" boat with anodes on her gear.

it alls depends on the price

I agree with "it's all about the price".

That said, is his asking price of $8K in the ball park given it appears to have been used in saltwater? He is an older guy(mid 60's) and is the second owner having had it 16 years all of which he said were used only in fresh water in northern CA. "Garage kept all year with a cover". He says the motor mounts, stringers, floor, and "pylon" are "tight and sound". Attached are more pics....

Thanks everyone.....great to have help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Just bought a 89 Mariah

You might want to check under the hull around the rudder mounting area. Gelcoat cracks that have let water in can cause rot that will need to be repaired. Grab the rudder and see if the hull is solid. I will need this repair on mine.

A 23 yr old boat is going to come with its share of repairs, by the looks of that interior (if original) and gelcoat, that one has been cared for, that and hopefully it really wasn't run in salt water too much.....
    90 Conbrio