Thread: Vapor Lock

Default Vapor Lock

Does anyone get Vapor Lockin their Supra's everyonce in awhile?

I have an '06 24SSV Launch and if it's a really hot day and we've been riding for a long time and then we'll stop & swim for like 30min then it won't start. If I wait for the engine to cool it will eventually start. Also if the engine is off for 5-10min while we switch riders it starts right back up.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobblehead Chad View Post
    Does anyone get Vapor Lockin their Supra's everyonce in awhile?

I have an '06 24SSV Launch and if it's a really hot day and we've been riding for a long time and then we'll stop & swim for like 30min then it won't start. If I wait for the engine to cool it will eventually start. Also if the engine is off for 5-10min while we switch riders it starts right back up.

Any suggestions?
    Chad,

This has been a problem for many people with 2007 boats and older, in 2008 Indmar added a second fuel pump to eliminate the vaporlocking. I would recommend contacting Indmar, they are aware of the problem, and should direct you properly to get it fixed.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

I have an 06 24ssv with the same issue last year. I went with the 93 octane and I have not had the issue this year. Good Luck

Thanks guys, I'll try the 93 Octane for the rest of the summer and then talk to my dealer about getting it fixed.

Chad,

Change the fuel filter too. I had the same problem and was told by the dealer to change the fuel filter. The ethanol breaks down the filter over time not allowing enough fuel to pass through it. I changed mine last year after having the vapor lock issue for several weeks. I haven't had the problem since. I also started running mid-grade fuel. I figure it can't hurt. I've also just started adding Sta-Bil Marine each time I fill up which adds about $4 more to a fill up to help fight this ethanol crap.

Scott
    2006 Supra Launch 21V

What octane are/were you running Chad?
    In the past, I've always ran 89 like the manual suggested. Earlier this summer, and for some unknown reason, I stated using 92 octane, and noticed I was having hard start and bordering on vapor locking issues. I came to my senses and switched back to the 89..... no problems since. "knock on wood"!

My '06 21v does the same thing. If you're idling around, turn on the blowers. If you're in a cove anchored, leave the engine cover up. Sometimes those 2 things do not work. You can pour water directly on the pump and it will cool it down. Then it should start fine. You can also purchase a pump from skidim and install it as close to the fuel tank as possible. Think the pump is around $250.

Cookeville, TN (between Center Hill and Dale Hollow)

Like Scott..knock on wood but I've always used 89 and have had zero issues. However we do still have several ethanol free stations and I make sure to fill up there every time. I'm sure the vapor lock misfortune will strike me sooner or later though.