Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transmission Schematic needed

Well I'm very worried about the ticking noise my tranny makes at idle speed. I can't lock it down and track it.

So I'm going to pull my prop shaft to see if it still does it with no load, and no friction from the shaft to eliminate bent shaft or seals failing.

If it still ticks, I'm going to pull the tranny and go through it. A blown tranny on the lake can cause enough damage to create a leak, and I can't have that.

Does anyone know where to get or have a schematic of a 1.1 PCM transmission?

Haugy. If you pm me your email address I can send you a .pdf of the manual. The ticking noise is most likely your flex plate - warning signs of an pending failure. (been there, done that - easy fix)
    Clint
    Last edited by csuggs; 02-10-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Mine was ticking at idle and I knew it was the flex plate but was trying to get by until season's end. One day it broke as soon as I tried to pull my son on the wakeboard . . . . had to be towed back to the dock.

When you pull the tranny, it's a good time to check other items . . . I was missing a couple of teeth on the flywheel so I had it re-ringed at the local machine shop. Also I went ahead and installed a new rear main seal because I had a "slight" drip. Pictures show what happens to a flex plate that gets neglected - the springs blew apart in the plate!

New flex plate from Discount Inboard Marine www.skidim.com
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

AWESOME! Thanks PM coming.

Did you have the same ticking at idle only? Or did it do it constantly? Once I give mine some gas it stops. But it's hard to isolate exactly where it's coming from by sound.

Where did you get your new flex plate from?

The ticking sound is only there at idle. As a matter of fact, the manual specifically addresses this on page 265. I feel sure the damper plate is what you need. I got mine from Discount Inboard Marine $199 - http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R140001

Let me know if you have questions!
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Thanks for the manual man!!! I printed that sucker down, and I'm putting into a binder in plastic sheets this weekend. I'll be busy. But that will add to my shop manuals, and will be a great help.

Thanks for the info, I'll check my plate. It sounds logical as I can't find anything else in the world that would cause the ticking. Did yours pick up speed if you barely got on the throttle? All the way until about 1500rpm?

And woohoo my flexplate is only $142!!! Finally the 454 redeems itself.

you guys must love spending money on them dampner plates ... go to ebay i just paid 96.00 with10.00 shipped to the door .. skidim is great but i think (marine)pricing is way over elevated with there overhead .... just my 2 cents ... springs let go in mine caused the same ticker

Everything "marine" is overpriced. Too many times I've bought parts that were less money and turned out being wrong. Skidim isn't the cheapest place to buy, but I always get the right parts and they stand behind them. My 2 cents.
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Quote Originally Posted by csuggs View Post
    Everything "marine" is overpriced. Too many times I've bought parts that were less money and turned out being wrong. Skidim isn't the cheapest place to buy, but I always get the right parts and they stand behind them. My 2 cents.
    You think that is bad...try aviation parts. A light bulb can run me anywhere from $20-$40 over what the same bulb would run in an auto parts store. Same thing for switches... Had to replace the spark plugs on the amphib in annual, $260 for the set of 8 plugs. But at least I can take some comfort in knowing that those parts will work and not fail me when I need them most. I take the same approach with the boat. Toys cost money and I would rather pay the money up front to better enjoy what little free time I have when playing.
    Last edited by Jetlink; 02-11-2012 at 12:13 AM.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    And woohoo my flexplate is only $142!!! Finally the 454 redeems itself.
    Yay! More $ for gas!

Last year I actually ordered a flex plate from another supplier to save some money. He said he knew what I needed and sold me the part. I got the part and when I opened it I realized it wasn't the same - it was shaped different. But I tried it anyway. The bolt holes lined-up ok but the plate was too large. So I called the guy and said I needed to cut the plate down to size - that was normal procedure. I don't think so . . . . I sent the part back and ordered the right one from skidim.
    Last edited by csuggs; 02-11-2012 at 07:45 AM.
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com