Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

i've been in the mechanical section too much...great stuff going on here.

cameron's stove top smoker...about $50 online...

they work great. can use it on stove top, on the grill, on a campfire, in the oven...
    they're great for small batches like smoking a few pieces of chicken, a couple of steaks, rack of ribs, veggies. you can smoke bigger things by making a tent out of foil instead of using the lid that comes with it. as a bonus, the house smells like a bbq joint for a day or so.

here's a recent rack of baby backs....45 mins on the stovetop smoking. then 45 mins in the oven on 200 degrees and lastly a few mins under the broiler after brushing some sauce on. add more oven time if you want them to fall apart.

they stay in the same pan the entire time and it all goes in the dishwasher.

the smoke ring isn't the same as a big smoker but the taste is.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Boarder View Post
    Scott,

Where is your buddy at in OK?
    He's in Oklahoma City. I love to piss him off with this picture.....

Where you been Salty??? Why would you want to talk about mechanical problems when there's a great discussion about beer and BBQ going on in here..... That stove top smoker looks like a nice alternative to a full blown smoker, plus, those ribs look gooood!

I've got ribs (haven't decided on the side dishes) planned for the Cards game this weekend. The plan is to hang in the pool, with a beer or 12, and watch the game while the ribs cook. Oh man, is it Sunday yet??

Cool. I'm in Edmond. We're a stone's throw away. Is he a boater / wakeboarder too or just a lover of bbq?

He's a big time BBQ'r, and loves to take out the bass boat (but I don't hold that against him)
    Here's a couple pictures from last summer when I was able to drag him out to the lake during a visit

Well, tell him he is welcome to come with us anytime for some fun or to bbq. I wouldn't mind going out fishing with him, as well.

Okie, I'll let him know he's got a new fishing buddy. He keeps trying to get my and Lorrie out there for a visit, but I don't know.

I grilled up some fajitas for the family tonight.
    Here are the spices/rubs I used. The Pineapple Head went on the chicken, nice and heavy, and the Triple-S (7 Steak Spice) went on the steak and then another dashing on the steak and veggies as they cooked

Frying up, I've got the chicken (which I sliced up after cooking) with the peppers on the top rack, and the steak and veggies in the basket on the bottom.

Also threw a couple cans of beans on the side burner in a pot with 1/2 a bottle of Stubbs regular BBQ sauce and 1/2 a bottle of Stubbs spicey BBQ sauce. Simmered that on med heat for 15 minutes or so to get them cooking, then let them sit on low heat for another 15. Makes for a great spoonful of sauce and baked beans. (sorry, no picture here)

Washed it all down with some Landshark Lager tonight

It was really a great meal tonight, and pretty quick and easy.
    Clean up was a snap.

Well, I decided to cook the ribs tonight, and screwed em up. All was going well, an hour on low (200 degree) heat, then cranked it up to 300ish for the second hour (still indirect). About 45 minutes in, I moved the ribs over the flames (still top rack), 15 seconds later I had a juice fire going, and knew I was screwed. We started dinner late, and i got impatient. Once past the crispy shell, they were nice and juicy inside, but I'm still disappointed.

For the Cards game tomorrow (Anderson vs. Bradford, wow, what a game) I'm going to do some wings, then throw a chicken on the spit for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Boarder View Post
    Cooked a pork shoulder on the smoker and also did some onions and cheese stuffed tomatoes. Good stuff!
    Give us the low down on those tomatoes, they look perrrrfect!

Scott -- it happens. As long as it is infrequent, you're still the MAN!

Ate the last of the smoked chicken tonight - thinking about the next "smoke"
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

scott,

Love the wok an veggies. A friend of ours got us into that. We marinade the veggies in italian dressing and grill them in the wok. Usually we do mushrooms, onions and various peppers. I like the strips of steak in with the veggies...great idea. What kind of steak was it?

The tomatoes were awesome...cut the top off and scoop out the seeds, then add the following:

Rye bread chunks
    Feta Cheese
    Asiago Cheese
    Shredded monterey jack cheese
    Bacon bits

Cook them on the smoker for 30-45 minutes at around 225-250.

I was thinking about trying them on the charcoal grill sometime when we're doing steaks (grilling), but cook them earlier than everything else. Set up the charcoal for indirect, cook the tomatoes, then rearrange the coals for direct.