Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Great thread! I just recently bought an offset smoker for tailgating season and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about smoking. I've been learning alot at www.thesmokering.com, but haven't actually tried anything yet. I want to do ribs first because I think they'd be easiest, but I'd also like to try some wings and chicken. I'll need to prepare it the night before and take the food off the smoker in the morning before we roll our bus down to the tailgate round 6am, I'm just not sure how to properly keep it warm or warm it back up when it's time to eat. And for all you smokers out there who haven't had this, you must try it! It'll give you a heartattack at the end but it's delicious:

Meet....the Bacon Explosion!
    http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

And not to neglect the original topic, cheers to the best beer ever:

2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

Ever had Guiness in Ireland? Way different than here - not just the processing,
    but the way they pour it is important -- takes them about 2 minutes per glass -

My smoker is electric - I haven't ever taken it anywhere.

Also check out the smokingmeatforums.com for ideas.
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

I had a Guinness from Germany, never Ireland, but yes it was quite different and still delicious Regarding the pour, you're completely correct, there is a specific second count to complete the process (I'm thinking it's 1 min 48 seconds). There's an Irish pub near my house that's ran by a proper Irishman that prepares a spot-on Guinness. The name is Irish Times, if you're ever in the Knoxville area you must check it out, I recommend everything on the menu
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

If you ever make it to a beer specific bar, like the Flying Saucer that has few hundred beers, and no liquor, they'll do a proper pour with a Guinness pint-spoon. Here in Dallas the best Irish pub I've found is Trinity Hall. Nothing quite like that place.

Speaking of a different beer drinking experience, so far every beer I've tried out of the funny shaped Sam Adams beer glass, has tasted richer and more flavorful.

I'd like to find a place locally to purchase that Sam Adams glass, I don't trust mailing glass.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

I'd say find a place BJ's pizza, or any other nation wide chain that brews its own beer. Sam Adams regularly sends boxes of those glasses to places like these and because their pints advertise their in house brew, they aren't allowed to use the Sam Adams glasses. They give them out to bar regulars and employees instead. If you ask for one, I'm sure they'll give it to you.

Put your ribs in an insulated cooler for your tailgating.....wrap em up in another layer of foil and they Will stay. Heated...word of caution , minimize your cooking time a bit becuase the meat will continue to cook being wrapped and stuck n the cooler

That bacon explosion looks like a heart attack in waitng....I do something similar with wrapping a whole pork loin with bacon......
    Brack
    1984 Supra Rider
    454 / 1:1 trans
    213 Hours !!
    " work in progress "

that bacon explosion is more commonly referred to as a "Fattie" - there are all kinds
    of variations. I have not ever made one, but a co-worker has made many - and he
    says they are AMAZING!

Takes the terminonlogy at work to an entirely new (risky?) level:

* I smoked a FATTIE this weekend
    * I put the probe into the loin at the thickest part
    * (and so on)
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

mmmm, beer. (and bbq) I love good craft or dark beers. Newcastle, Sam Adams, Guinness and the list goes on. I drink those when I want to "enjoy" a beer. Normally I just drink various light beers as "at home" or "lake" brews.

I'm definitely a bbq lover. I have a grill (rarely used), offset style smoker, and a Weber. I primarily cook with wood or charcoal. I've made the bacon explosion a couple times...good stuff. I love doing whole chicken (brined of course) and pork butt (pulled pork) the most, but I have a lot of other favorites too. Stuff jalapenos are great too. Too much food, not enough time....LOL

Default Turtle

I have not tried this yet. Place in oven 400 degs for 25-30 mins. or grill
    Attached Images Attached Images