Thread: Oil extraction?

Default Oil extraction?

Hey guys -- I've been using one of those really crappy drill pumps to remove oil from my engine (I installed an aux. drain hose during my rebuild a few years back so I can suck it from near the bottom of the pan.) My pump froze up last night -- I bought a new one and it's not working either... does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced vaccuum system (or a DIY system I could build??) Hate the idea of spending $150 on the 12v ones that west marine builds but a vacuum pump shouldn't be too terribly tough, should it?
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Wotan,

I also used to use a great pump, but I did what is recommended here:

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=5776

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=5757
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

Sweeet... my local farm store has simer brand 12v pumps that are very close to the ones in those threads. I wasn't sure if they would be suitable for oil (or generate enough priming pressure) but I will double-check. I think I am going to do a similar thing but I'm going to install the pump on the top of a 5-gallon bucket and possibly include a switch to reverse it to pump out into a recycling container. Thanks!

I am a little worried about the pump I got from Northern Tool - and whether or not
    it's REALLY ok for oil -- but dang, it emptied the entire oil in less than a minute.

An '87 should have a bilge drain plug. Run your hose through that hole and don't worry about a pump, let gravity do what it does best.

I use an hand vacumn extractor they are about $50-65, the one that I like hold around 6quarts and is self contained so no spills in the boat it will also work for the tranny and I have even changed the oil in my car with it, no spills. If you google search oil extractor several will come up. Again I like the upright cylinder style, has different sizes of lines.

Quote Originally Posted by OUI View Post
    An '87 should have a bilge drain plug. Run your hose through that hole and don't worry about a pump, let gravity do what it does best.
    yep, this is my method. I let gravity do the work. I use a couple of old gallon milk bottles and go under the trailer to catch it.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

Quote Originally Posted by rludtke View Post
    yep, this is my method. I let gravity do the work. I use a couple of old gallon milk bottles and go under the trailer to catch it.
    Maybe it's my hydraulic fittings being so small or something else... but gravity has never worked for me unless I leave it overnight.

I didn't take any pictures but I built a pretty sweet oil extraction system of my own last night for ~$65.

$56 - Simer Pump
    $4 - 5 gallon bucket with lid
    $5 - misc. fittings and hoses

I mounted the simer pump directly to the lid of the 5-gallon bucket. Hoses and fittings all match up to what I already have and the 12v pump is reversible so it can pump itself back out of the bucket and into a recycling container.

It didn't extract the oil quite as quickly as I had hoped -- probably took 10-15 minutes to get cold oil out, but when I reversed the pump and pumped it back into my jugs.... jesus.... it came out REALLY FAST! I think it's probably comparable to the 12v systems I found online in the $150 range. Not completely sure that the pump is suitable for oil (and somewhat worried that the impeller will burn out with the slow flow rates of cold oil instead of the quick flow rates of water) but... if this pump goes bad, I'll try to find a better diaphragm pump like the Northern Tools one above. I couldn't find a diaphragm pump locally.

Wotan,

I have only done mine with the oil warmed ...

I usually do the same thing but.... I had to replace my intake manifold gaskets and some water ended up in the crankcase. I didn't want to risk running it long enough to get it warm so I had to find a way to extract the cold oil. Extract + new oil + run + extract + new filter/oil + extract + new filter/oil + run and I think I'm finally uncontaminated. Tomorrow I'm going to use the extractor to replace my tranny fluid.... I think I'm overdue for that.