Default 86 comp ring gear

my ring gear has a couple of teeth missing right at the starting point and i have to used a socket wrench to advance it each time i start the motor. I was hoping to continue to do this til the summer was over but it seems to be doing in starters now. Has anyone ever had to replace this before? What exactly does this project entail? Any help would be much appreciated

Is it a 351? Typical engine would be a big job, you have to split the motor from the tranny and replace the flex plate which is bolted to the Crankshaft at the back of the motor.

Split the tranny and engine remove the flywheel. I don't know how important this is with an automatic, but I know that with a manual clutch you want to have a machine shop resurface and balance the flywheel while it's out. I'm pretty sure they can mount a new ring while they're at it.

Just a note, You have a standard flywheel. The ring gear is heated and slipped onto the flywheel. You will have to have the old ring gear pressed off. Any basic machine shop can do this repair, nothing special as per marine. No resurfacing needed. Once tranny is separated, I would highly inspect the flexplate, this is bolted to the flywheel. Check for wear at the splines and springs. Al

Ok yes it is a 351. Thanks for the advice