Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default water in the gas

well i went to the lake friday after putting my transmission in. got to the lake and she pulled beautiful but shortly after it shut off . turned out i had water in the fuel. i thought at first it was from the recent fill up at the gas station but wasnt that . i pumped all fifteen gallons of fuel out of it and probably got a gallon of water out of it. put a bottle of heet in the tank and and went back to try it out and it will run a little while then un expectedly just shut off. with a fuel filter full of water. where could i be getting water from? hole in a gas line? a vent or what ?

by the way its a 1985 supra ts6m ..

From what I gather you may have a little water in the bowls of your carb.....a little gets sucked up every once in a while. I've got the same prob. haven't had time to fix it this week and I'm no carb wizard.....
    90 Conbrio

well it cant be just the carb because i have a clear fuel filter and i can see it in the filter. i have to pull the hose off and turn the engine over to pumnp it all out and their is a lot of water. i just dunno where im gettin it

Might also be in your fuel filter canister mounted on the port side stringer just below your fuel pump. It has the ability to hold a lot of water.......Replacing my filter helped immensely......
    90 Conbrio

yeah i thought the same thing so i went to a mechanic and he said it was actually a water seperater. he told me to just take it off and run a straight hose since im using an inline filter i just dunno lol

Quote Originally Posted by JAKE HIGDON View Post
    yeah i thought the same thing so i went to a mechanic and he said it was actually a water seperater. he told me to just take it off and run a straight hose since im using an inline filter i just dunno lol
    You want both. Replace the separator canister, and replace the in-line filter. The separator does what it says, it helps separate the water in the fuel, but it doesn't have much capacity. I don't think it is a very good filter, so I added an in-line filter downstream from the pump.

The residual water in the system will build up in and clog your filter, especially if you don't have the separator. It is also likely that you have water in your carb float chambers now. It will separate and sit at the bottom, until it gets shook up enough to mix, which may or may not allow it to be metered into the engine, were it may or may not get burned and the engine may or may not run. I would pull a bolt from each float bowl, and drain the contents of the chamber into a clear container (so you can see if fuel was in there). Doing all of this will help you have a fresh start from the water.
    Last edited by rludtke; 08-09-2010 at 11:41 PM.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

its like a $12 filter at NAPA, obviously there to seperate to a certain amount of water, I'd drain it and replace the filter. I have a good friend who's a retired mech. (worked on Fords his whole life) so he knows my 351W well, until it gets marinized.....I now carry those filters on the boat and they have saved me in a break down already this summer.......
    90 Conbrio

I would not take the water fuel seperator out, you can drain the canister and put it back on you don't have to replace the filter each time.

If you have a lot of water in the tank it can only get in a few places, fuel fill and hose to tank, Fuel vent line and vent out of the back of the boat ( I know on the late 80's and early 90's comp this is the most likely) The fuel vent if it is below the gunnel molding on or near the back can get water from backsplash( slowing down to a stop fast) sometimes in corners, but on of the biggest cause is with people moving around in the boat when it is not moving especially if you are weighted up for wakeboarding or surfing. If the weight shifts to the side the vent is on it can go under water and atmospheric pressure will push the water into the tank until the vent comes back above.

If you vent is anywhere near the back of the boat I would relocate it where water can't get near it. If you don't you will continue to have these problems,
    I ran a 90 comp for the last 20yrs and had to do this and have seen this problem on many more.

I had similiar issues with my 86 turns out water was getting into the vent. I bought a new vent and reloacated vent to back of boat, I have never had a problem getting water in the system since then!