Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad Bad Day.

Still love the boat buddy, just to be contrary -- however, for the first time EVER, I did
    get the "rubber strip" on the bow that others have complained about ...

Dang dude - that's some carnage, I would hate it to if that happened to me!
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

That sucks.......

Maybe I don't want a trailer.......
    Skylar18
    2007 Sunsport 22V

The nose of the boat got phase to the right side of the boat buddy. I didn't know that it was off. I drove the boat up onto the trailer like I always do. When I went to put the strap on the hook I saw the carnage. It snapped the plastic part of the buddy and exposed the metal brackets.
    08 24ssv Gravity Games
    1200, 1100, and 750 Fly High Bags
    6 Optima Blue Tops
    Guest 10 Amp Charger
    WS420
    6 WetSounds Pro80s 10 xs650s
    3 zx850.4 1 zx550.2 1 zx1000.1
    Oil Drain Pump

Ouch man. Definetly made me gasp for air and cover my mouth to look at that pic. Hope the repair or wrap goes well.

What amazes me is the people that praise the Boat Buddy. We all know and have seen the damage it does. Yes I know you must have the trailer in the right amount of water and at the correct pitch. Give me a break!!! There are way more horror stories out there than people that stand proudly by them. In fact Gravity swore by his. I told you that thing sucks. I haven't pulled mine off yet out of laziness but the second I get the chance, its coming off.
    -----------------------

2004 Supra Launch SS

Acme 913 prop, WS 420, Kicker L5 sub, JL/Kicker amps, Kicker in boats, Polk mm in roswell bar, 3000# ballast.

"Never underestimate a man that Overestimates himself."

What exactly is the Boat Buddy? I've been reading the explitives about this thing for years now, but I am not sure what it is. Obviously my old boat/trailer must not have one...
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

Its a system that replaces the roller with a locking latch so that you can trailer the boat with only one person. It must be lined up just perfectly to work.
    -----------------------

2004 Supra Launch SS

Acme 913 prop, WS 420, Kicker L5 sub, JL/Kicker amps, Kicker in boats, Polk mm in roswell bar, 3000# ballast.

"Never underestimate a man that Overestimates himself."

Gravity, that sucks! I have a gouge in the very tip of the bow from coming in too low. It is def metal behind the plastic piece. Not sure I like it but too lazy to change it right now.

I am suprised at all the boat buddy haters. I have owned different inboards for over ten years and my latest boat has a boat buddy. I love it. I dont see how a gust of wind will move your boat when its on the bunks unless your too far in the water. I always put mine fenders about one inch under water like the Supra manual says. When doing so no amount of wind is going to move the boat(short of tornado blowing it off the trailer). I am not saying anyone is wrong I just dont understand how it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by cmtaylor777 View Post
    Its a system that replaces the roller with a locking latch so that you can trailer the boat with only one person. It must be lined up just perfectly to work.
    Do you really need it? I load and unload by myself every time. If I keep enough bunk out of the water, I can drive on and up the bunks, get up close (but not against) the forward guides, and the boat will stay, as the bunks seem to have adequate friction. Then I walk forward, hop down, and finish the remaining 6 inches or so with the winch.

To unload I do the same thing, I don't put all the bunk in the water, so the boat won't slide off the trailer when I unhook her. I start and warm up on the trailer, and then use a little power to overcome the bunk friction and get the boat free from the bunks.

You don't want the boat floating, just wet.

I think I've freaked people out at the boat launch (judging from reactions) by loading and unloading by myself, but it works just fine...
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4