Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad Bad Day.

Im not saying that the wind was the sole cause of the incident. I was just off center just a little. When I throttled up to push it onto the buddy the bow was a little to the right. The bow then pushed the buddy apart and exposed the metal. Ive loaded that boat probably 3-400 times over the last few years. Trailer was in the correct depth. I watch the water level on the bungs. I LOVED my boat buddy. I think the concept is great. But it isnt worth having holes in the boat. From now on Ill just get out and hook it myself.
    08 24ssv Gravity Games
    1200, 1100, and 750 Fly High Bags
    6 Optima Blue Tops
    Guest 10 Amp Charger
    WS420
    6 WetSounds Pro80s 10 xs650s
    3 zx850.4 1 zx550.2 1 zx1000.1
    Oil Drain Pump

I don't use the Boat Buddy as it is designed (pin is slightly bent).
    I have learned where the water line/bunks need to be.

Not sure that a roller would have made any difference (without being there) seeing that being off line and powering on did the damage.

Although, they do have half rollers to protect the boat from the bolts from the side, they also split and allow the boat to smack the bolt. (friend had one split while trailering and the bolt made a nice flat spot in the fiberglass).

I attach the winch cable after wife has the boat on the trailer before she powers up the last bit to keep it straight and crank to assist getting it on straight.

Saw this weekend with the same friend. I attached the cable, and he started powering his on. (has Baja with roller). Wheel wasn't straight and it was going to slide to the side of the roller, but I cranked and it pulled the bow down right.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

Why don't more manufactures use a set up like this? Seems to make sense.

My trailer wasn't originally designed for my boat, and it has a cross bar about 1/4 of the way back from the front end of the bunks. My boat has dings in the hull where it has obviously struck that bar in its past. When I purchased the boat/trailer, i quickly learned that if I am on a steep launch, the boat will float over the bunks, and can strike that cross bar. My fix was to mount a 14" wide roller with a steep "V". This protected the hull from striking, and bigins lifting the bow as the boat enters the trailer. The unexpected benefit was the automatic centering of the bow. I have never had problems since with the bow running to the left or right of the fwd stop.

I wonder if such a roller would help the Boat Buddy alignment problem?
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

If your boat is not straight a roller will do damge to. The pic does not show the damage to the rubrail just the gel coat. This is from the nut and bolt that holds the roller. If the nose gets off center with my boat that far up. The trailer is in to deep. My boat straightens out half way on the trailer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In my case, I mounted the roller on the cross bar located between where the left and right angled and straight frame rails intersect. The fwd keel rolls across it as the boat is loading. The deep V of the roller brings the boat to center while it rolls across. The keel enters the roller about the same time the midship portion of the hull is begginning to settle on the bunks, and it centers the boat well before it engages the forward centerline V bunk keel support. I used to have trouble hitting this V bunk and could end up on one side of it or or the other.

At the fully loaded postion, this roller is supporting some boat weight, right at the deepest portion of the Comps deep vee bow section.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

Heres my boat buddy. Works pretty good, looks good getting out of the boat too and doesn't scratch anything. I have been thinking about getting a new one but apparently I sign some LONG contract. I think she was shaking some coconuts at me at the time a signing, I was hypnotized and didnt know what I was doing. : ) Jet
    Attached Images Attached Images
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

Jet, I'd be intrested in trying your model for a weekend if time permits.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Well, mine wont scratch your boat but it might scratch your eyes out if it gets mad. Better leave it to me. Lol
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

Hmm, dont wanna pay for Lasik again. Good call.

I suppose I could wear goggles!
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold