Thread: Oil change pump

Default Oil change pump

Anyone change their own oil? If so what make/model pump are you using to exstract the old oil. I just picked up a 07 21V (first boat) and don't want to take it to the boat shop for oil changes if I don't have to.

I change several hundred engine oil and tranny oil each year. The best oil suction pump I have found is to build your own. Utilize a Diesel fuel transfer pump, 12v and basic hoses attached to a 3 gallon bucket. I prefer to use 1/2" vacuum hose as the suction and discharge hose, very flexible and it will slip over your drain hose fitting easily. Good luck Al
    Supra Beast
    Custom 496 MPI HO 425 hp
    Custom Teak floor

This style works great, also can be used for trans. fluid. I use a rubber spark plug boot to slide onto the drain hose.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    This style works great, also can be used for trans. fluid. I use a rubber spark plug boot to slide onto the drain hose.
    Same one I have, works awesome
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

I have that same pump ... have used it for years happily.

However - do a search on this site for "Northern tool" to see how I do it now.

Takes me more time to change the filter and refill than to drain the warmed oil ..

Thanks to whoever originally had this idea, I don't remember ... was it you Travis?

I refer to the setup in this one I think ...
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

Thanks to all for your help. Found a manual pump like the one you have Fman. I'll test it out as soon as the rain stops here.

Fman -on a different note, when you upgraded your ballast system, what was the reaso. For grinding out the fins on the scupper? I have read your write up, but just unclear on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpass1 View Post
    Thanks to all for your help. Found a manual pump like the one you have Fman. I'll test it out as soon as the rain stops here.

Fman -on a different note, when you upgraded your ballast system, what was the reaso. For grinding out the fins on the scupper? I have read your write up, but just unclear on that.
    If you do not remove the scupper water will be forced into the bags while driving. The vented loops cant hold back the force of the water when it is being pushed into the scupper intake.

If you look at all other boat manufacturers, nobody uses a scupper for ballast intakes, they use the mushroom style which will not force water in, but allow water to flow when the pump is activated.

I am getting ready to add a ballast system to my VLX and they are now using one way check valves on the fill line because water is being sucked out of the bags when the boat is driving.

Would recommend contacting Jason at wakemakers.com to help you set up your ballast system. They have great prices and good knowledge of both aerator and impeller pump systems. They also have a new 1100 GPH Rule Touranament series which is super fast and has the 3/4" intake thread to 1" discharge. Will fill the 750 lb bag in less than 5 minutes.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

Do you think extending the slots in the intake all the way to the other end would do the same thing, or is there something inside of the intake that needs to be removed that you can't see when looking at it on the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpass1 View Post
    Anyone change their own oil? If so what make/model pump are you using to exstract the old oil. I just picked up a 07 21V (first boat) and don't want to take it to the boat shop for oil changes if I don't have to.
    check out the moomba how to, lots of info there, Ive got an 09 21v so not alot diff as per maintenance

http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=10977
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by beast 496 View Post
    I change several hundred engine oil and tranny oil each year. The best oil suction pump I have found is to build your own. Utilize a Diesel fuel transfer pump, 12v and basic hoses attached to a 3 gallon bucket. I prefer to use 1/2" vacuum hose as the suction and discharge hose, very flexible and it will slip over your drain hose fitting easily. Good luck Al
    I only do two boats a year and I built a setup very similar to this. It was overall cheaper than any of the vacuum pumps I could find. With plumbing and the pump it was under $100.

Mine is actually a 110v pump and I put a 3-way switch on the top of the bucket (it lets me pump the bucket out through the same hose when I'm ready to recyle.) I also use a 5 gallon bucket instead of a 3.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.