Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 87 supra comp ts6m ignition problem

Ok, so heres the deal, I have an 87 supra comp ts6 m. pcm 351 motor. I was out on it last week and it just died. After doing some diagnosing, I found it had no spark. I replaced the coil with a accel 12 v coil. Still no spark. I then figure ok maybe the points are bad, I have already replaced them once. I ordered a pertronics conversion kit pnx-1581 or 2 I forget exactley which one. It is the right one for my application. I installed the conversion, STILL no spark. What could be the issue, does anyone have a wiring diagram for this boat. I checked voltage at coil with ignition in run position, no voltage. I ran a wire from the battery positive side to coil positive side to bypass, still no spark. Bad resisitor maybe? not sure. Also I forget what it is called the little black box on the right side of the carb. it has a positive and negative lead coming from it, could this be an Issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, adam

If the black box you are refering to is on the carb it would be the electric choke, has three screws holding it on with plates.

Have you checked the ballast resistor and power back at the circuit breaker, I had some issues a few years ago with my 90 comp it turned out to be the terminals on the circuit breaker.

yes black box the electric choke is what i was talking about thank you, as for the circuit breaker pretty sure it is getting good power to it, cleaned all the terminals and replaced the starter solenoid beside it. Not quite sure how to test the ballast resistor.

what kind of problems were you having with your 90 comp?

It would die for no reason, but I think with the circuit breaker it would not restart I would have to reset the breaker I thought the breaker was bad but then I found a loose connection.

The ballast resistor is a just that a resistor to reduce the power gowing thru to the point/coil. You would use an ohm meter to test the resistance not sure of the specs on it.

With your perctronics ignition did they give you any wiring info with it? You should be able to hook it up direct bypass all of the switches etc and test, If you have no spark maybe you got a bad module?

Make sure you have good clean connections at all points.

yeah very little wiring info with the pertronics, a red a black lead, red to positive black to negative. Guess it could be a bad module, going to have to do some more troubleshooting. And I do have an ohm meter, going to try and find out the specifics on that and do a little more digging into some other possible problems areas. trying to dig for all the wiring diagrams and such I have for the boat! guess we will see. I do have a supra tech line number I am going to call when I get a chance!

Check the wires on the back of the ignition switch. Had that problem on a 92 comp.

I'm having a similar problem with my 86 comp. mine was running great then sudenly I lost all fire! Idk where to start or what to do. Any suggestions.

I will have to check the ignition switch. I did have to replace the switch with a new one, guess its possible a wire came loose. I would have thought running a hot line directly back from battery would make it hot, but maybe something from the ignition is preventing it from happening. NOt quite sure yet, hoping to take a look at it some more sunday afternoon.

Thanks Krygier

Wake jumper, check back in, I'll let ya know if I get something figured out! Prolly would not be bad idea to switch over to electronic ignition, much more reliable, When it is working.

Make sure you have the right coil. They either have a internal resistor or not. It it does and you're still using the external resister it will not give enought power to the igntion.