Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving To Pa

Thanks guys for all the feedback. My wife asked if we were selling the boat because no place to ride there. I said let me check. Sounds like there is. Oh k I wouldnt sell the boat even if I had to drive two hours one way to a lake. I am sad that the weather will be cooler. I better get new seals for my drysuit. Does anyone recomend a pro shop by there?

A little late to the thread but Raystown Lake is a great place. I'm from Western Pa and we usually go there every summer for a week of camping/boating. It is a lot less busy during the week than it is on the weekends. If you go, you need to jump off of the 30+ foot cliff. It's an experience.

I live in NJ about 15-20 minutes from Philly. Actually used to work in Lansdale, seemed like a decent area. You'll be riding on the Delaware River most likely. Not really any large lakes in the area that I know of. Schuylkill river is an option but could be a not fun trailering there and riding spots are small sections of the river due to several dams.

Plenty of good spots on the Delaware river North of Philly. Bordentown area is nice up past Tullytown and also Rancocas Creek on the Jersey side is nice.

Are there numerous launch spots on the Delaware or should I look for specific areas? Thanks for the info so far.

Quick look on Google Earth shows one in PA right across from the creek.

Look up this address.
    9242 North Delaware Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19114

I've never used this ramp or any on the PA side, but it's an option close to the creek. The ramps on the PA side look nicer than the NJ ramps, at least from the water. Probably some more ramps farther north on the river where some folks ride.

Oh man you got options on the Schuylkill- none of them huge but perfect for skiing/wakeboarding. Closest to you is probably a spot called Port Indian, there's a ramp to put in at the top side right by the Betzwood bridge. It's not real deep, but deep enough. Just be careful - there is a channel to get you from the ramp down to where it opens up. We used to go down river until you hit the island- and you can go down the right fork/side... we didn't usually get very close to the railroad bridge though- the dam is fairly close.

Also there's another spot above the Black Rock dam- never been there but I've heard it's a decent spot and there are several who call it home.

And there's also Flat Rock in Gladwyne - about a mile and a half stretch of river that's usable. There's the dam on the bottom side and you can go upriver until you hit the island. Stay away from the left side up at the island. The rest is deep. Hope this helps-