Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transom LED's

Default Transom LED's

Some of you have probably seen this on the Moomba site but I figured I'd post over here too.
    There was some LED's posted on the classified section of Wakeworld, and I thought I would chat with the guy and see what made his any different than anyone else.

1. They didn't need to be underwater to work. (overheating issues)
    2. Over 720 lumens, and will take 9-32volts DC.
    3. Original products designed for off-road use, so they are definately going to be durable
    4. Customer service top notch.
    5. Under $250... enough said.
    6. Small enough footprint to fit the LSV.
    7. These lights also are hard anodized prior to powder coating for added durability.
    8. All electronics are grounded to the housing itself, which when connected to the positive and ground of the battery, it completes the circuit.

With all these reasons I decided to pic 2 up. One white one for me and one redone for my brother-in-laws X-1. Before we mounted his we decided to get a 2nd red one for his.

I installed it and... Holy Hell these are bright. I cant look straight at it because I feel like I'm looking at the sun. When I got them and pulled them out of the box, the first thing I thought was these things are well made! All milled, billet aluminum, and powder coated. These things are easily a pound a piece.
    I connected them to a half dead bench battery in the sunlight and they hurt to look at.

Take my word for it these are nice lights!

After talking with Darick Schmitt with visionxstore.com He instructed me how to dis-assemble the factory deusch plug so I wouldn't had to drill a huge hole in the hull. Here is the "how too" on these lights, then some water shots.

First I carefully removed the heatshrink around the deusch plug then used a pick to remove the green wedge that holds the plug together on the light, and dis-assembled the plug.
    Then I located a position that I could easily access both from the inside and the outside of the boat. With the LSV there are no flat spots in the transome with the exception of the area above the wakeplate.
    Laid out where the hole for the wire would go (3/4").
    Drilled backwards untill the bit face was far enough through the gelcoat that I could go forward w/o creating chips in the gel.

Next I put the light in place, then marked and drilled the mounting screw holes. I then went back and used the 3/4" bit in reverse to open the face of the holes up to keep from chipping the gel when installing the screws.

Next I put a generous amount of 3-m adhesive sealant around the wire and on each screw hole and installed it.

Re-install the wires in the plug and install the green wedge and your ready to wire.
    I tied mine into my docking lights with an additional switch. So when my docking lights are on I can turn my transome lights on with an addithonal switch.

I see a group buy coming on! Hope you guys like it!

Forgive the shameless Active Water Sports plug.

Last edited by Newty; 10-07-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    Don't forget your meds!

Next came the drillin holes... My favorite part!

Don't forget your meds!

Now the glue and install.
    Oh and the shameless PDXwake plug!

Don't forget your meds!

Don't forget your meds!

Don't forget your meds!

Don't forget your meds!

Nice!! _ I always thought I wanted the ShadowCasters, but hte price kept me away -- heck you could get several like this for the price of 1 of those....
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

Ryan, nice upgrade... your boat looks great!
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

I'm missing some photos of the install for some reason..... They look GREAT on the water, though! How clear is the water in those shots??
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I also don't see anything in posts 2 and 3, even though it appears there SHOULD be pictures. ...
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.