Thread: Steering Issues

Default Steering Issues

OK, I have read some about some steering problems, here is mine.

The boat is a 1999 Santera, I have had it 2 years. To go straight, it takes a quarter turn left. No big deal. Last time out, when I make a left turn and then roll out back right, there is a problem.

As you come out of the turn, not much happens, and then it will jump past straight ahead. I have to correct back to the left to keep straight.

Is it the cable, the behind the wheel box, both or something else?

I guess that will make a nice fall project, either way.

Thanks for your help,
    David

If you have a greaseable rudder port, grease it. Also, with the boat out of the water, grab the rudder and try and move it fore-aft and side to side. If it has a lot of play, that means the rudder port has been hogged out over the years, the rudder post is severely worn, or both.

If this is the case, the steering will work fine out of gear, but when running, the thrust from the prop push the rudder post cockeyed in the rudder port. This can cause hard steering or even cause the rudder to bind up like you have described.

Just to check the simple stuff before tearing out any underwater gear, I would also disconnect the steering cable from the tiller arm and turn the wheel in both directions to ensure there isn't any binding in the steering cable or the helm itself.
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown

Cables typically work or not - they just get stiff with age. If they break, they may still "push" the rudder and turn right, but can't "pull" and steer left.

Sloppy or vague steering could be worn rudder shaft/packing like DKJ said. Another possibility is at the steering helm with missing teeth on the rack or rotary or cable end. My sloppy steering was due to an extremely worn clamp block that attaches the rudder end of the cable to a bracket on top of the drive strut. It allowed the fulcrum/pivot point to move before the rudder would turn.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

After shaking the rudder, its fairly loose. Play in every direction. Everything connected to the steering wheel, rack and cable seems to be tight, no play.

What parts and where do I find them to rebuild the rudder bushing? Is it just O rings?

Thanks,

David

How loose are we talking about? How much play is there fore-aft. Mine may have up to a 1/4" or so and it causes harder steering when underway, and I've just lived with it so far. If you have much more than that, it may be time to replace parts. You'll need to pull the rudder and check its shaft for wear; if no visible wear is apparent check it for consistency with a micrometer. If the rudder looks good, then you may just looking at a a new rudder port.

I am not familiar with which rudder ports they used in the late 90's boats. Could you possibly take a picture of the part of the rudder port that is inside the boat?
    Last edited by DKJBama92Mariah; 09-27-2010 at 11:07 PM.
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown