Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Hit.....Rock......

Boat hit a rock this weekend, gonna need a drive shaft, strut/bearings, rudder (gone) and a prop.....
    Having a hard time getting the bent drive shaft and original strut mounting screws out, any tips???? We weren't going to fast and nobody was injured, but I wasn't driving and really wish now that I had been.....When my heart leaves my throat I'll try and take some pics, glad no one was hurt and that this comes at the end of the season.......The hull has a couple gelcoat chips where it looks like prop schrapnel would'a hit it, but other than that it's the running gear that's toast.....
    90 Conbrio

hey john sorry to hear of your mishap. Had a bud take off his rudder,strut and prop this summer....he used a place up in haliburton to get his shaft staightened, prop repaired and a new rudder
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Oh bummer, hate to hear that. Make sure you call insurance on that one.

That really sucks mapleleaf. I've been there man, not a rock, but over the years I've broken everything you broke at least once. I'm on my 3rd shaft, 4th strut, 2nd prop, and 2nd rudder.

+1 on the insurance. If everthing's trashed, you're looking at $1250 doing it yourself.
    Strut is $198 from skidim. The new strut will come with bushings.
    Driveshaft is $315 from skidim.

The rudder skidim carries looks to be different from ours. When I had to replace mine, I bought direct from Skier's Choice and I think it was somewhere north of $300, how far, I cannot remember. Note: the skidim rudder comes with a new rudder port. My Supra replacement rudder did not.

How trashed is the prop? Any blades sheared off or folded over? It could be repairable for use as a spare. I think there may be a prop vendor or two hanging around the forums here. Personally, I went to my local prop sales and service shop to buy my prop. The guy that runs the place is a real nice fella. For many years he has beat my props back into shape and balance when I bend 'em for a reasonable cost. I gave him first shot when I needed a new prop. He came back with a reasonable price, so I bought from him.

Now, I GOTTA see pics of the carnage.
    Last edited by DKJBama92Mariah; 09-27-2010 at 02:02 AM.
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown

I'll take some pics tonight after work, the only thing I keep thinking is it would've been better if I was driving when my boat got wrecked!!! The strut mounting screws are going to be the worst, prolly been there 20 yrs.
    Good old Canadian shield has taken another victim, we were on 6 Mile Lake and seemed to find the unmarked rock! Fishermen at our caMP found the same one earlier in the am......
    Doc, if you could get the name of that shop in Haliburton that'd be great!!!
    90 Conbrio

Kawartha Prop Service. 7057687767. Ask for John
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Man that sucks! Sounds like you have some solid advice already. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Boarder View Post
    Man that sucks! Sounds like you have some solid advice already. Good luck!
    At least its the end of the season!!!!! Its also gonna make the shaft log repair a little easier, cuz everything will be outta the way. Kinda thought my rudder was already bent, so it'll just be that much better next year! Watch this turn into a stringer job!!!!!!
    90 Conbrio

Concur on getting insurance involved. I had a very similiar thing happen last year. A friend was driving and pulling me on my board. I got to see the whole boat almost jump out of the water. All I can say is just be thankful no one was hurt and don't beat yourself up (or your driver) over this as there is no way either of you would have known it was coming. My driver was so paranoid that I was mad and it took her a few trips before she would drive again. Moral of the story, you can replace a drive shaft, prop, etc... a good driver and more importantly a good friend, no so easy.
    2005 22 SSV GG

Sorry to hear that. In the 20 years I have been skiing. My boats have hit twice. And both times I was behind the boat skiing. One time about 100ft of a point water was a foot deep. Bottom was rocks and gravel. The boat made it through. I didnt. Stopped dead on my slalom ski. Ripped my shorts my leg and my arm up. When they came back and asked how I was. I said ok. But what about my boat. I will never forget the sad look on their faces. I had insurance take care of it both times. Around $3000 both times. Last time being around 10 years ago. Can imagine what it would cost now if not fixing yourself.
    Chauncey 2000 Malibu Response LX Monsoon 325