Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question trailer question-help needed

So I am looking at older supra sunsports. around 1988-1992 year range... I have found one that I would love to take home with me but it has no trailer. I have to have a trailer! So therefore, I have been doing some used trailer shopping but can't exceed $1000 on a trailer. So I found a used trailer for a 94 mastercraft prostar 205. Does anyone know of putting sunsports or marauders (same hull i believe) on trailers for other manufacturers boats? More specifically putting a 91-92 sunsport on a 94 prostar 205 trailer? The beam on the MC is 7'8" and the beam on the Supra is 8'0" from what I have read and they are basically the same lenght so it makes sense to me that it would probably work with some minor adjustments. ANY input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks, David

The bunks are custom made to match the hull also the boat needs to be positioned for proper tongue weight. The MC trailer will have to be reworked for daily towing. Might work in a pinch for a short trip to get her home.

I would agree with Michael. You can probably get it to work for the first tow to get it home, but then plan on reworking the trailer for a proper fit and weight balance.

I agree with Michael & Okie. Most direct drive inboards share similar hull shapes (Vee entry / flattened stern), so a trailer for a similar length/width boat can probably be "adjusted" to fit. You're probably good on the length, but I'd measure the widths carefully of the boat at the chine and the trailer between the fenders. You want to be able to nestle the hull down between the fenders. Otherwise you raise the c.g. of the load on the trailer to clear the fenders or have to modify the fenders (if the axle wheelbase will allow) - neither are fun prospects.

I'd count on at least having to shim or otherwise adjust the bunks to match the hull, clear the prop guard, etc. Probably have to relocate the bow stop/roller & maybe winch as well for a good long term fit. My original trailer is out getting powdercoated after welding new surge coupler, winch, and jack mounts. Also further mods to accept new fenders since the originals couldn't be salvaged and oddball size no longer sourced. Modifying/repairing trailers isn't exactly easy or cheap, but a lot less $ than new.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

i have a guy who hooks me up with trailers, where do u live, second i know a place that has a 1991 sunsport with trailer ready to go, i'm in MD.
    IT's just a boat - You need to love it!
    Caress Me down - 1991 Supra Sunsport

My 1987 TS6M came with a mis-matched trailer. My trailer was thought to belong to a larger Ski Supreme of about the same vintage. I have had decent service with this trailer, but it did take some tweeking to perfect the fit. The previous owner lived on a lake, and only used the trailer twice a year, so he didn't care.

The TS6M is 19' long, and the trailer is probably sized for a 21-22' boat. This trailer has tandem axles, which I like, but required some adjustments to get the center of gravity right. Putting the bow against the original bow stop put the boat too far forward on the trailer. I replaced the bow stop's 2" thick lumber with 6" thick lumber. Now the boat's engine is centered over the two axles, and about 4" of trailer bunk is visible behind the transom.

I also added a roller to the trailers fwd cross beam as the hull could strike it if the boat launch is steep.

Here is a picture of my little boat on a big trailer: https://forum.supraboats.com/album.p...4&pictureid=16
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

Hey, Edgewater, can you find a trailer that would fit a 90 Mariah? And I would like to see a pic or two of that Sunsport!

Get the boat and have it delivered. Most marinas know of people who do it for a living. During the winter months keep an eye out for the perfect trailer or just get the one you saw now.... Nothing a torch, metal chop saw, welder and some fabrication can't solve.

Thanks guys for all the input. And if anyone else has anything helpful, feel free to still chime in. Unfortunately the guy that was selling me the trailer backed out of the deal when I was almost there to buy it. But I found another trailer that will do for now that came from an older 85/86-ish marauder/sunsport for $500. Even got lucky enough that it is a mile away from the immaculate sunsport that I just put a down payment on... on the same lake... and I found someone to re-furbish it there and fit it to that boat! In hopes that it all turns out as well as promised. Can't Wait to get the boat home and put some pics on here for y'all. I think it will certainly draw some compliments.

Edgewater: I am located in Augusta, Ga on the GA/SC line. I may still be looking for a better trailer at the end of next year or so. Where is your guy located? and possibly some contact information?

annapolis md, The guy runs a "yard" trailers that are left at marinas, are sold to him with no title, and he gets a salvage title for them through the DNR, i dont have contact info, but ill get u his cell,.. he sold me a aluminum trailer for $750, for my sunsport,
    IT's just a boat - You need to love it!
    Caress Me down - 1991 Supra Sunsport