Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Starting my own business.. Looking for ideas

Im a electrician.. Ive been working in houses and cars/boats/industrial equipment my whole life dealing with wiring from custom installs in vehicals to wiring a warehouse..

Basically my business will offer
    - Lift/lowering kits
    - wheels tires
    -Remote Car Starters/Alarms
    - Paint
    - Back up camera's / beepers
    - bed liners - step bars - ventshades etc etc
    - window tint
    - basically any accessory.. I have 2 world wide distributors lined up and the are ready to work with me.. One 2 miles from the shop im looking to purchase and another that does 1 day shipping
    -headrest dvd players/flip down dvd players/indash dvd

Basically im looking to do what I love.. Customize vehicals.. Boats trucks golf carts motorcycles etc etc!

Ive torn every vehical ive owned apart and rebuilt them all of them to my liking from rebuilding motors to upgrading motors..

Im having trouble deciding on a NAME for the Shop that describes everything!

Right now I work for 2 of my uncles.. Both doing wiring for his Car Stereo Shop and my other uncle doing wiring for houses/garages/warehouses you name it I been there..

I want to keep the electronic part of the name to where It grabs the car dealerships in thinking Professional and to the point..

I thought of this name

D.E.S Auto electronics - I like this name because it sounds professional in the field of electronics in vehicals.. But then I want
    High Mountain Offroad accessorys - because im in the mountains.. Sell a lot of lifts and Jeeping is big in my area! etc etc

So bascally I hope this gives you guys an idea of where im coming from.. And I know theres is a few of you on here who work in this field so any input would be great!

Another thing is I have to have a name that nobody else for me to make is an llc company!

So much to think about

Another thing I want to do is Sell A.R.E truck caps or Leer Truck caps..

As of right now I do side work installing remote car starters in Brand new vehicals.. The wiring is so technical now days nobody wants to do them around here so I have 10 new car dealerships that depend on me.. and trust me.. These things bring in a lot of money over the winter months
    Last edited by dshaff24; 09-29-2010 at 09:33 PM.

"YOU NAME IT customization and fabrication"... ???
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

" hook my wife up headrests dvd's in her sequoia asap" LLC????
    LOL
    Sorry dude just kidding, keep it short and simple, 3 words max, like "Shockey Electronics" or "Wheels and Wires" I know those are cheesey, but at least something that people will remember....
    Back the headrest's for my wife's Sequoia....seriously my kid's legs can almost reach the drivers seat.....
    90 Conbrio

1st.... contact Stephen Sinek with Seven Sin Design and have him get your company image/branding/logo put together. Seriously, this dude is amazing. You're in a position to let a REAL graphic designer come up with a company name and image at the same time. http://www.sevensindesign.com/ Do me a favor, and let him know Scott sent ya

2nd..... make sure the url for your company name is available. And, be prepared to purchase the url immediately. There are companies/people out there that are able to search for recently requested web addresses, then purchase them out from under you in an attempt to later sell it to you at a higher cost. These days, a good web address is just as important as the companies name and branding. Especially since it sounds like you may be able to enter the realm of online sales. It's all about google rankings.

How about...... MOD IT!

Congrats on following your dream. Where are you located I may be in need of your skills?

Sounds great!! And I agree with the branding and web address insight that Scott has offered. After reading of your intentions, my only caution is that you not spread yourself too thin in the beginning. Concentrate on two or three things you like that you're REALLY good at - and let that be what gets your business off the ground. After you've established your name and reputation for professional work, then diversify.

Just my $.02

As for names . . . something catchy that goes along with your web address, facebook and twitter names, etc. I think a good marketing person can help you with that tremendously.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

I would have to research a lot more before making a move but you may want to consider branding the off-road separately from the Electronics/accessories. This is because the target audience is different and you would need different advertising in different places to appeal to each audience. Maybe this could come a lil later. But it would be as simple as two signs on the same building and two phone lines. The trick is to target the correct customers only and not bleed the two together which diluted the brand imo. Very popular nowadays

Almost forgot, best of luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

dshaff24 my brotha. We are living parallel lives. Im a couple of years ahead of you. You on Jeepsunlimited? I have been for 9 years now andrewjetmitchel 97' ZJ here is my signature below. Every nut and bolt has been pulled off my motorcycles, boat, jeeps cars and trucks. I hung up my office job 3 years ago and went to work for myself, my grandfather taught me how to wrench and I have been hooked ever sense. I cant leave anything alone. I can make it better, lol. Its a sickness and a challenge. If you need any help you just call me I can tell you what mistakes NOT to make. I even helped Salty87 on here to jump start his own advertising company, hope he's doing well. As for right now, i would say keep your day job and do this on the side..Its REALLY hard out here and even people with money arent spending it right now. this is the 1st year that we havent seen a LARGE jump in our #'s for the year i think we are even below last years right now but have 3 more months to try and pull it out. Go with the 1st name and add a SYMBOL or a shape to your name (like a eagle or the wetsounds symbol) people remember symbols way longer than a name, and you dont want to be tied down just to the 4x4 guys..they are diy guys anyway. Call or pm me. Live the dream man..live the dream. Jet

My 3rd Jeep!! 97' JGC/4.0/42RE, Shift Kit, Bored 60mm TB, cold air Intake, Dynomax muff, AIT sensor moved to cold air intake, 180 degree thermo, coilover shocks/rear, Xenon's, The rest of my money goes to my Wakebording boat!! :blingx2:

06' Nissan/Armada
    05' G35/Infinity:blingx2:

Helios/coolmyatticnow.com
    A Solar Technology Company

Owner
    AndrewJetMitchell
    Attached Images Attached Images
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

I dont know how the car audio business is in your town, but with the internet as a main competitor, I'd be leary about jumping in to business.

Me and a close friend are partners in a car audio business. We basically do the same thing you mentioned. We're a dealer for Rough Country lifts, get wheels/tires from a local place that sells only on Google/Ebay, sell Wet Sounds, Digital Designs, remote starts by Clifford, and a few other brands. We can cover anything automotive. We do the best work in town, and compete with 2 other shops: 1 is a hackjob where they're known to trade stereo's for dope, and the other one has been around for years, but is only surviving by custom home audio. The other local mom and pops shops have failed due to the rising of the internet. Ours survives because we don't try to feed our families with it. We work out of a private shop at my house and are appointment only. Since we've both been doing this since 1994, some car dealers and other businesses come to us, but there's no way that we'd be able to live off of the business.

I did an install for a guy last night that bought a kenwood DD head unit off of Amazon. He looked me dead in the eye and said he doesn't understand why I can't buy stuff any cheaper than he can from Amazon. Some people just don't understand.... I was ready to smack him for some of the comments he made, basically saying that I was too expensive. My labor rates are cheaper than anywhere else, and I don't have an overhead. He also doesn't understand why it costs at least $12 to ship anything to my place from our distributors.

Good luck on your venture, it's just not something I'd go out on a limb for. The way that manufacturer's are changing cars and putting better systems in, car audio is getting dead IMO. I hate to see that day because it's been a part of my life for a long time, but that's what it's coming to. We do, on the other hand, do tons of leveling kits on the new Chevy's for a local dealer. that's still not enough money to keep someone afloat though.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

Keep the name as basic as possible. A single word short and catchy is best.... Try talking to the younger croud and looking for a texting style language relating to your field.