Default L4 warranty information

Does anyone know if the dripless shaft seal is covered under the L4 warranty? My '08 is not even two years old (purchased Dec 0, and the dealer told me this is a wear and tear item and SC will not cover it under the warranty. My shaft seal has failed, the part is only $25 but the labor will probably be 2-3 hours.

I sent SC an email yesterday and never heard anything back and wanted to find out if anyone knows exactly what is or is not covered under this warranty.

Thanks for the help....
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

SC is only responsible for the 1st year of warranty. Seasafe covers years 2-5 on the 2008's. Your dealer will need to see if seasafe covers it.

After running into this prob on my 09, I have to say that this is prob going to be viewed as a wear and tear service issue like changing the tranny fluid. Luckily I got to see it done and have already purchased a spare for when mine leaks again. For me it is not worth the time/trouble to take it to a dealer. Its a 60 minute (tops ) repair job.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by docdrs View Post
    After running into this prob on my 09, I have to say that this is prob going to be viewed as a wear and tear service issue like changing the tranny fluid. Luckily I got to see it done and have already purchased a spare for when mine leaks again. For me it is not worth the time/trouble to take it to a dealer. Its a 60 minute (tops ) repair job.
    Doc, are you refering to replacing the seal with a new one? Good news is they are only $25 from OJ Props. I have had estimates of 2-3 hours because of the hard access on the Supras shops are complaining about. I am going to pull it out of the garage this week and see what I can come up with. I wish you had some pictures to post of the project, they always seem to help me a little.

Most shops are estimating $300-$350 for replacement with parts & labor.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

I'm probably going to be doing this myself over the winter so I've been looking around. Located the following.

The first if the installation manual for a different brand dripless seal - probably some crossover-

http://www.pearson35.com/p35articles/documents/PSS.pdf

Second one illustrates the installation procedure of an OJ dripless seal on a direct drive.

http://skidim.blogspot.com/2008/10/o...tallation.html

I've emailed OJ to see if they would forward me an installation manual (if one exists). I'll post up if I find anything else that looks helpful.
    2008 22SSV

sorry I have no pics, removing the coupler is the hardest part of the project. I posted instructions in the HOW TO INFORMATION on the moomba website dripless seal replacement. I believe s.c. is telling the shops to remove the vdrive to do this procedure thus the 3 hours......I know this as last weekend I had my vdrive replaced and it took 3 hours........had to remove drivers seat to remove floor to give room to slide vdrive forward off tranny shaft. My dealer is 6 hours away so the book it and let me stay and watch as long as i dont ask questions and slow the mechanic down.......They are a great shop. Worth the drive.
    But when they replaced my seal they did not remove the vdrive.

http://moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=12889

2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    Doug

Sorry for the hijack - but why did you have to have your v-drive replaced Doc?
    2008 22SSV

it started leaking oil from the vdrive shaft seal and maybe from the shaft cover after the prop shaft seal was replaced......the prop shaft seal was leaking water from day 1.....the propshaft was also bent( but supposedly was ok to be bent?) so i think when the vdrive coupler and the propshaft coupler were bolted back together it was a different melding of the two and this put different forces on the seal and led to failure.....or it was just a bad unit........my vdrive oil went from the high mark to 1/4 way to the low mark in about 10 hours, while it had stayed at the high mark for about 60 hours previos to this.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    Doug