Cookeville, TN (between Center Hill and Dale Hollow)

Question Heater Question???

I'm about to self winterize for the first time ever. I'm tired of paying $400 to the dealer and driving an hour each way while getting 10mpg on my tow rig. I spent $85 at autozone and got everything I need.

I'm going to use cabs write up over on the moomba forum. Seems like many are doing this and having good results. I've debated the draining vs antifreeze methods. However, I think draining is going to be my chosen method this year.

The entire process seems pretty clear except the heater. Does anyone have pics and locations of the heater hoses that need pulled and drained? Seems like people are pulling one hose and dropping it toward the bilge and blowing compressed air through the other one (while wrapping a rag around it for a better seal and to keep water from blowing in your face). Some are dumping antifreeze in but it doesn't seem like its necessary if you clear the lines.

Sorry if this has been discussed already but I've searched and can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Scottie,

I do both -- I blow the line, then I pour RV antifreeze into the line, and blow again, until I see only pink coming out the block hole.

I do this because you never know when there might be low spots in the hoses running to the front where water might accumulate.

And - for me, even if I use an ENTIRE GALLON (I never use that much) - it's cheap
    insurance ($4?) versus potential destruction of the heater core ($$).

Just my $.02 ...

Todd
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

Wow! $400 bucks seems pretty stiff for winterizing. I just paid $99 for winterizing my 2008 24 Gravity Games Edition boat at the dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraTamu View Post
    Wow! $400 bucks seems pretty stiff for winterizing. I just paid $99 for winterizing my 2008 24 Gravity Games Edition boat at the dealership.

ya that must inclde an oil change,,,

just did mine fingers crossed lol,, heater is already cracked so no worries for me.....

good luck it seems scary the first year for sure,, this is my second time

heater core $180 self install not too bad

One hose will be going to the block on the port side and the other hose will be going to the circ pump just below the J hose coming off the tstat housing. I use a shop vac to suck the water out of the heater lines as well as out of the block on either side and the Jtube which i disconnect at the tstat housing, as I like to keep my bilge dry. Then I use the J hose off the the tstat housing to pour eco friendly antifreeze into until that tube is full. Then fog all cylinders and bump engine over with plugs out to spread the oil around as well as distribute the antifreeze around.....then i redrain to capture 95% of the anti freeze.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Doc is right on the money with the hose locations. I did my own this year as well. I layed one down in the bilge as low as I could get it, then used a rag and compressed air on the other. Saw the water come out the one in the bilge. I chose not to do the anti-freeze either, although, it would not be too difficult.
    One thing I have heard about the RV antifreeze is depending on how cold your area gets you need to be careful of how low in temp the protection rating goes. Some of it is only like 20 degrees F rated or maybe 0, which around here would not cut it. A night or 2 of -20 would probably cause as much damage as not draining it at all. Just something to keep in mind.
    2008 Sunsport 22 V

Cookeville, TN (between Center Hill and Dale Hollow)

The $400 includes the oil change but I think of that as part of the winterization process. That's still CRAZY high IMO.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to dive into it this Thursday. Hopefully all goes well. I'll be sure to post up any issues or concerns I have so keep an eye out for me...LOL!

I've done many DIY things from what I've learned on these boards and all had turned out well. So, I'm a bit nervous to do this the first time myself but in no way doubt the info I've been given. Thanks again.